newbie - will this work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

97guns

EP204

I do not have it and do not know that much about it but based on Radio Shack it can pick up-

Your scanner can receive these bands:

Frequency Range (MHz) Step (kHz) Transmission

29 - 29.7 5 10-Meter Ham Band

29.7 - 50 5 VHF Lo

50 - 54 5 6-Meter Ham Band

108 - 136.975 12.5 Aircraft/Air Shows

Frequency Range (MHz) Step (kHz) Transmission

137 - 144 5 Auto Racing, Aircraft/Air Shows,
Government, Motion Picture/Video
Industry, Pro Sports Teams, Radio/
TV Remote Broadcast Pickup,
Stadiums/Venues

144 - 148 5 2-Meter Ham Band

148 - 174 5 VHF Hi

406 - 450 12.5 70-cm Ham Band and Federal
Government

450 - 470 12.5 UHF Standard Band

470 - 512 12.5 UHF "1" Band

806 - 823.9375 12.5 Public Service "800" Band, except
cellular band

851 - 868.9375 12.5 UHF Hi

896.1125 - 956.000 12.5 UHF Hi

This means that yes, you should be able to pick up the local emergency frequencies, based off your and RS's information. I do have a pro-94 which I know is similar and that has been great for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

97guns

thanks, i see theres a regional forum. i will poke around over there.

RadioDaze

I think you got a good deal on a radio that is very basic but looks like it will cover the all the best stuff you want to hear (except City of Santa Clara - at least you can use 153.965 for a Fire Dept simulcast). You will probably enjoy it very much, and eventually you might move up to a more sophisticated radio, such as one that has "alpha-tagging", which means that it can be programmed to display descriptive words of what you are listening to, not just frequency numbers. But if this is your first scanner, you are in for a lot of entertainment.

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
i just bought a cheepie scanner off ebay

Nascar 100 Channel Race Scanner- Used only once!! - eBay (item 120667230816 end time Jan-11-11 09:55:19 PST)

and see that most of my local frequencies are not digital?

http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/frequencies/states/ca/general.san_jose.txt

but being a newbie i just want to confirm. also its kinda late but did i get a decent radio?
i just want to monitor the local emergency frequencies

Here is some more help = Santa Clara County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Department of the Highway Patrol (CHP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Civil Air Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I don't know which weather freq is good for your area..But punch in a weather freq also.

Have a scan bank set aside just for emergencys..so you can go directly to that one bank if something happens, like a severe county emergency or disaster..which California is well known for. Maybe adjacent a few fews from adjacent countys. Fire , chemical disaster , plane crash..ect..ect.

Radio propagation..most likely is better of a night..where in clear weather..and yes, sometimes storms
radio signals travel farther. Signals weak during the day are sometimes stronger of a night ; with better modualtion and heard more clearer than most times.

I have a " Bugout " bank, in case I need to grab the portable scanner and " Move Out". Sense you have a portable scanner..get you some extra batterys to keep with it ; and exchance them out about once every year. Your scanner holds I think 4 batterys. Buy a " Blister" pack - -> ?? I think 16 at Wal-mart or convenience store and keep them near the scanner or in a backpack you may " Move Out " with. You will have fresh batterys with the scanner.

Enjoy scanning................... - - - - - - FF - Medic !!!

97guns

thanks for the links guys, i was looking for the database and couldnt find it. the reason for the scanner purchase is SHTF preparation. but i can see myself listening in alot.

what kind of range can i expect to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.