News Chopper 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Anyone know what freq they're using? Is it in AM or FM mode. I searched the forums and I only found this:
LTR TRS of 461.40000 (LCN 4) TG # 0-04-150.

Anyone know what TRS that is and is that really what they use?

GM

Premium Subscriber
FM Mode and it's registered to Arthur Breeze. TG # is valid and yes, they use it often. The repeater is located on top of Sand Hill, South Brunswick, Southern Middlesex County.

xpawel15x

GM said:
FM Mode and it's registered to Arthur Breeze. TG # is valid and yes, they use it often. The repeater is located on top of Sand Hill, South Brunswick, Southern Middlesex County.

Okay great thanks I found it on FCC too.. I doubt I'll pick it up from Bergen County though :(

robbinsj2

GM said:

I caught and identified it as such a few years ago but I'm no longer sure that's the correct license. I noticed a while ago that I was able to mute the signal by using maximum squelch, and using minimum squelch with the attenuator. Based on my location at the time, that wouldn't have been consistent with the signal coming from the Major Road tower(s).

I've held off on resubmitting it to the database because I don't know the correct data and I don't want the frequency and TGID, which are correct, to be removed from the database.

Jim

ansky

GM said:

News 12 covers primarily North Jersey. Why would they have a repeater for their chopper way down in South Brunswick?

bigray246

Chopper 12

I have only heard News 12 on 455.6375 Mhz. pl 103.5 talking to Long Island control in simplex mode. They were in Bayonne this week covering a bomb scare never heard them on the 461 freq.

DJ88

That frequency is licensed to News 12 Company, Jericho, New York, and there is a News 12 Long Island station. It may be possible that you were hearing their chopper. According to Wikipedia, News 12 New Jersey operates as a separate unit from the News 12 Company.

SCPD

QRT
DJ88 said:
That frequency is licensed to News 12 Company, Jericho, New York, and there is a News 12 Long Island station. It may be possible that you were hearing their chopper. According to Wikipedia, News 12 New Jersey operates as a separate unit from the News 12 Company.

So News 12 CT, has there own helicopter also?

robbinsj2

bigray246 said:
I have only heard News 12 on 455.6375 Mhz. pl 103.5 talking to Long Island control in simplex mode. They were in Bayonne this week covering a bomb scare never heard them on the 461 freq.
There's a fair chance they use a network of LTR repeaters. When the Middlesex-area channel was found a few of us tried without success to find affiliated repeater sites.

Also, from an airborne position the Middlesex-area repeater may work fine for them in northern metro NJ whereas a ground position below them would be over-the-horizon. Try also monitoring the repeater input. I think that radios transmit the same LTR TGID on the input frequency that the repeater emits, but am not sure.

Jim

bigray246

New12 chopper.

From what I have been monitoring I believe News 12 helicopter runs out of Long Island not NJ. Again I have never heard any base replies only the chopper side of conversations. ie. Chopper 12 to Long Island finished in NJ heading back,, Chopper 12 to Long Island we are over the crash site on the NJ turnpike ready to roll,, Chopper 12 to Long Island base we are over Newark whats the address., all on the 455 freq. have had the 461 freq. in the scanner for several months never heard any traffic, is it possible that the chopper only uses the 455 freq. and the trucks use 461?

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Edison NJ base uses the 466.4000 as an I/P to the repeater; I have also heard News Chopper 12 (NJ side) use the same.

DJ88

I called News 12 in Edison this morning and the woman I spoke with in the newsroom told me that their chopper is based in Long Island, but she didn't know the frequency(s) it uses.
Half of the problem solved.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Chopper 12 is based in Farmingdale Airport out on Long Island. They stored the ship there. There ID on the FAA radio's like KEWR TCA on 127.850 is Chopper 12. The TCA freq. is used for helicopters transiting in sand out of KEWR air space.

bigray246

News 12 NJ

OK good call, I locked my scanner on the input to 461.400. 466.400 and behold at 10 am this morning, News chopper 12 to NJ base we are over Giants stadium! However the input was loud and clear I was unable to hear the NJ base on either freq. So Chopper 12 uses 455.6375 to talk to Long Island base, & 466.400 to talk to NJ base.

xpawel15x

bigray246 said:
OK good call, I locked my scanner on the input to 461.400. 466.400 and behold at 10 am this morning, News chopper 12 to NJ base we are over Giants stadium! However the input was loud and clear I was unable to hear the NJ base on either freq. So Chopper 12 uses 455.6375 to talk to Long Island base, & 466.400 to talk to NJ base.

Does the 461.400 freq have to be programmed in as LTR mode into channel #4 ? And the 466.400 is FM ? Can I only program the 466.400 FM into my scanner and hear it ? Thanks.

GM

Premium Subscriber
If you want to hear only the News Chopper 12 talkgroup on the repeater, then yes, program in the 461 freq on ch. 4 in the LTR mode; otherwise, (as I do) plug in 466 in the FM mode (any ch.) and hear it line of sight. Since I live and work in Edison (Raritan Center) I hear the I/P much clearer since I'm closer. Your results may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.