NewsGroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaft

I second the service from Giganews. I've been using them for 10 years now and the retention rate with the level of service is second to none.

lgentle

Been using Easynews for over 9 years. What I like about it is in addition to the monthly renewal (20GB), I also get an additional 9GB (1GB/every year of subscription).

brandon

Database Admin
I was using newsgroups before the days of StrongSignals.net, TrunkedRadio.net, RadioReference, etc.
Thank god the newsgroup days are long gone and we have RadioReference.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
What's a newsgroup? I read the wiki but why would you pay a subscription to read peoples posts? Just curious. Thanks

This might help.

http://binsearch.info/groups.php

Basically, there is text as well as images, software, videos, music...anything you want and can imaging. Most ISPs like Comcast do provide users with some newsgroup access but a lot of users don't know this and don't use them. I think Comcast provides something like 2GB per month (from Giganews) but that's it. 2GB should be plenty for text but if you want more than that, the 2GB limit can be met in a matter of a few hours. Some ISPs have dropped access because of under-utilization.

brandon

Database Admin
Basically I saw them like email, just that everything was public and could be replied to and you could not delete items. Moderation was also pretty much non-existant, so there were problems with spam, off-topic posts and trolls.

Some groups I remember reading:
rec.radio.shortwave
rec.radio.scanner
alt.radio.scanner
etc..

Looks like NOTHING has changed in the 10 years or so.

You can view/search for newsgroups here: Google Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.