• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nextel Direct Talk (not Direct Connect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

FF153

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it would be possible to purchase the old infrastructure and create your own cell phone network at least locally. IF anyone has any idea how to get a hold of the infrastructure and if this would even be possible please message me!

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Good luck getting your hands on any used iDEN equipment. I read somewhere they are going to reclaim the precious metals in it. As I understand, it won't be for sale, anywhere for any price. Besides, how could you possibly license such a thing?
My son's Sprint phone went belly up the other day. I gave him one of my iC502s that actually worked so he could get it activated to use until a replacement phone arrived. He was on the phone an hour with Sprint only to learn that they can no longer activate them, even if they want to. He said they entered the info for the phone into their system and nothing happened. Seems hybrid phones are paperweights. I can't even get the GPS in one to work.

I know of people that have sourced some things... I would just like to know what companies are doing the dismantling of the systems. Also, licensing it would be no different than licensing something else in that freq range.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Nextel Direct Talk (Not Direct Connect)

Does anybody have any good current links for anything Nextel Direct Talk related? I just charged mine up this week to make sure that they are ready for service during vacation this spring. I may be interested in buying an R765, i365IS, or possibly a Motorola Nextel Titanium . Does anybody have an ideas on where to locate these? I have been checking Ebay, but I am open to suggestions for other places, too.

Ki4eki

DirecTalk (Motorola iDEN handsets)

Real Stupid question.

Have a Motorola i870 & a i850 (w/ DirecTalk)

One Night While testing out said pair (For sale then, Not Now)
had a couple of people come on (Passing through) and we got to talking, It turns out
they haven't even herd of the i870 (or the alike) they where talking on something else made
by Motorola or they thought (All said unit did was DirecTalk, It was not a phone!)

My question is - Is there another device made by Motorola that is DirecTalk Compatible????????

-Rich (Ki4eki - Echolink Node #175627)
-Randin Confed Radio Group

Ki4eki

The Motorola R765 would be one that comes to mind.

I'm not so sure, The impression i got was it had no phone function at all
and has alot more range, they where hitting me from miles away (In city)

I have to admit after seeing the spec's for the R765 though it is a nice phone
a little Ker-chuncky for me.

-Rich

n1das

This is a lost cause unless you already have some DT-capable NEXTEL (iDEN) phones and SIM cards that have previously been activated on the network. The NEXTEL iDEN network is long gone so you can't do a new activation if you wanted to.

OTOH, check out Motorola's latest 900MHz radios, the DLR series:
DLR Series - Motorola Solutions USA

The DLRs use the same 900MHz FHSS system that DT-capable NEXTEL phones use in DT mode and also what the DTR series radios use. The DTRs and DT-phones were purposely coded differently so they are not compatible even though they use the same 900MHz digital FHSS system. However, the new DLR series is compatible with the DTR series radios. The DTR series is getting a bit long in the tooth and parts and accessories are getting hard to get. The new DLR series is the replacement for the DTRs going forward. The DLRs are a stripped down version of the DTRs and are less expensive and they make sense for the target market. I expect the DLRs to become popular.

I recently picked up a pair of DLR1060 portables and my g/f and I use them a LOT. They work great.

Last edited:

Ki4eki

This is a lost cause unless you already have some DT-capable NEXTEL (iDEN) phones and SIM cards that have previously been activated on the network. The NEXTEL iDEN network is long gone so you can't do a new activation if you wanted to.

I think you are missing the idea, the others i was talking to where NOT on iDEN phones (In Dt Mode)
they where using devices that where DT (Or DirecTalk) Only!

I'm trying to find out what they where using.

n1das

I think you are missing the idea, the others i was talking to where NOT on iDEN phones (In Dt Mode)
they where using devices that where DT (Or DirecTalk) Only!

I'm trying to find out what they where using.

I am very familar with DT. My g/f and I have used DT mode in our i355 phones we had several years ago. We used DT at lot and it worked great.

Sounds like you were referring to the DTR series. The new DLR series radios which I have are compatible with the DTRs. The DLR owner's manual also mentions this. They will work with each other with their default programming out of the box. In case you are interested in some new devices that work with the DTR series radios, check out the new DLR series. I have a pair of DLR1060 portables and they work excellent. The DLRs came on the market a few months ago so it is a new product offering. OTOH, the DTRs have been around for a while and are getting old enough that parts and accessories may be getting hard to get. The DLRs are stripped down version of the DTRs and are less expensive but worth checking out.

DTR information:
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...adios/on-site-business-radios/dtr-series.html

DLR information:
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...business-radios/dlr-series-digital-radio.html

Cheers.

k1zxx

Premium Subscriber
nextel and dtr650

Hay I have several good questions, 1st, does anyone have the model numbers to look for when wanting to use these iden units for two way comms?
2nd will these Nextel units in direct talk mode talk to the Motorola dtr 650 units, they seem to use the same spectrum and frequencies? if so how would this be done?
3rd has anyone tried to set up a gateway through zello with these?

k1zxx

Premium Subscriber
thanks, guys I wasn't sure if they would I have both and tried but had no luck in the talkback with the 355 and dtr660

Status
Not open for further replies.