Niagara Falls FD audio low

NS9710

I have the Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch programmed as 460.575MHz, Narrowband FM [NFM], the tone is programmed as 151.4Hz, and a volume adjustment of +3, and I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of, even going to FM, and I have my volume set to 10, Squelch set to 2, which is my normal set [Vol & Sql], and for some reason the voice audio is just so quiet, even locked in for a bit and put volume to 15, still no difference, any suggestions?

All audio and telemetry on other bands are perfectly fine, it just seems to be this one conventional frequency, some TGRP or Conventional channels the audio is so prominent that I actually have to do a lower volume adjustment, for the life of me, I just can't understand why this one frequency is giving me such a fit.

Anyone with alternative ideas/suggestions how to counteract this low volume issue?

Firmware is up to date as is the database, so I know those aren't offset or improper set.

k2hz

Database Admin
From what you describe, it appears that Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch 460.575 simply has low audio so nothing you can do about it. Possibly others in the area can confirm that is the case. It is not unusual for some systems to have low audio.

The other remote possibility is an interfering signal on the frequency which might not be noticeable with PL enabled. If there was a continuous unmodulated carrier on the frequency it can cause weak and/or distorted reception of the desired signal. It could be either radiation from some electronic device or a "birdie" in the scanner. What model scanner do you have?

NS9710

Uniden SDS100, the Noise field is showing excessively high count, traditionally 17,000-38,000 range.

From what you describe, it appears that Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch 460.575 simply has low audio so nothing you can do about it. Possibly others in the area can confirm that is the case. It is not unusual for some systems to have low audio.

The other remote possibility is an interfering signal on the frequency which might not be noticeable with PL enabled. If there was a continuous unmodulated carrier on the frequency it can cause weak and/or distorted reception of the desired signal. It could be either radiation from some electronic device or a "birdie" in the scanner. What model scanner do you have?

k2hz

Database Admin
Uniden SDS100, the Noise field is showing excessively high count, traditionally 17,000-38,000 range.
Probably a SDS100 problem since the SDS scanners are notorious for all sorts of desense, intermod, images, birdies and other spurious responses.

If it is an internal birdie or image, the IFX function applied on that frequency may cure it. There is a possibility of external interference source in which case it would be heard on other (non-SDS) scanners. But what you describe sounds like another case of a typical SDS problem you may have to live with. The SDS scanners both generate internal crud along with spurious responses due to desense or intermod from strong local signals on other nearby frequencies.

NS9710

Just an observed issue, the city dispatched out and the tones was fine, however the audio was very scratchy and weak, almost breaking up as well.

Probably a SDS100 problem since the SDS scanners are notorious for all sorts of desense, intermod, images, birdies and other spurious responses.

If it is an internal birdie or image, the IFX function applied on that frequency may cure it. There is a possibility of external interference source in which case it would be heard on other (non-SDS) scanners. But what you describe sounds like another case of a typical SDS problem you may have to live with. The SDS scanners both generate internal crud along with spurious responses due to desense or intermod from strong local signals on other nearby frequencies.