NJ SPEN & UTAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Good day everyone. I was searching the forums and couldn't find anything recent so I figured I'd ask - Is the NJ SPEN and UTAC frequencies still operational? Thank you...

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
SPEN 1 is very much active in Northern NJ. Used daily as a point to point between dispatch centers. While Morris County uses the MIRS-1 talkgroup on their trunked radio system, they usually repeat over SPEN-1 for NJSP. They also call SP Totowa and Netcong over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
SPEN-1 is not on the trunked system. It is conventional analog and simplex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
SPEN-1 is used regularly in south Jersey. Mainly used for BOLO's and police information broadcasts.

Tech792

SPEN 4 seems to be an unofficial fire-police channel used by various depts in mid-Monmouth county

squad1321

Monmouth County use to broadcast their MOCIB messages over SPEN-1, County Car and the Hotline. Since the Car channel went away, the Hotline moved from Low band to UHF, and most County LE and other Municipalities now operate on the 700 trunk system, I can't recall hearing any of these MOCIB messages anymore. Maybe it only comes over the 700 system now?

Did Monmouth Co take SPEN-1 out of their consoles and do they not broadcast these MOCIB messages anymore?

Joseph11

Did Monmouth Co take SPEN-1 out of their consoles and do they not broadcast these MOCIB messages anymore?

I've heard Monmouth County's MOCIB broadcasts on SPEN 1 down here somewhat recently, like in the past 2-3 months or so.

Analogrules

Sometimes I wonder how dispatchers choose whether to use SPEN 1 or their own County Hotline Channel to broadcast. Recently, I heard Union Twp. on SPEN 1 alerting surrounding towns of a hi-jacked vehicle. I assume they use SPEN, when it affects towns in the next county over (Essex County in this case). For Union County, I normally only hear hotline transmissions on NJICS. I don't think they have any conventional channels, besides SPEN for this anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I honestly think SPEN should somehow be simulcasted on NJICS or the State Police 800 system. This way it can be heard and perhaps "repeated" from further away. It is the whole point of interoperability. I also don't think every town monitors SPEN 24-7, like they are supposed to.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I do know in the past, there was a temporary patch of SPEN 1 being patched to the B2-9 Ops 2 talkgroup on the NJSP TRS.

coolrich55

SPEN was pretty busy last night with the pursuits. The Newark dispatcher was doing a good job of keeping everyone informed. They did have trouble getting a hold of Rutgers PD though. Essex county prosecutor channel 1 was active also with a pursuit. One department was even coming over what I think was one of the 800mhz tac channels at the same time they were on SPEN.

AC2OY

I missed this one but your right the Newark dispatch does a amazing job during their chases to let Belleville,Bloomfield,Nutley,NJSP....aware of where their going and what roads their pursuing on. I did catch the armed robbery a few weeks back that started in Belleville and ended up on the GSP in Irvington or East Orange. There are times where I feel I could use three or four scanners just to hear the different channels all at once.😊

Status
Not open for further replies.