NJSP using new "ghost car".

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
sneaky 5-0

I agree. If drivers did not get worse like they are now we wouldn't really need "ghost cars". I like the idea and it's good. Only ones who complain mostly are ones who fell victim to a self induced "speed trap" one time or another.

Civics are not slow by any means,thats why these kids love ricers as they call them,they soup em up and race em!

Speed traps?Yeah maybe in Maryland....where they do all sorts of weird things to catch speeders.
Nobody drives the ridiculous speed limits my favorites are 25 and below on a city road and 55 on a highway.You could do 65 and theres always someone who will pass like you are driving like you are standing still.Why?Because nobodys ever satisfied with the speed you are going even if its 80 in Florida!Seriously!

SCPD

QRT
Civics are not slow by any means,thats why these kids love ricers as they call them,they soup em up and race em!

Speed traps?Yeah maybe in Maryland....where they do all sorts of weird things to catch speeders.
Nobody drives the ridiculous speed limits my favorites are 25 and below on a city road and 55 on a highway.You could do 65 and theres always someone who will pass like you are driving like you are standing still.Why?Because nobodys ever satisfied with the speed you are going even if its 80 in Florida!Seriously!

I recall once a grand jury trial where one individual turned 18 and had wrecked killing a motorcyclist Going over the limit. Around 95 in 55 in a junk q***er rice burner. I call it that because of the fire cracker noise it makes. He was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and his family cried and complained. I don't feel sorry for them type. Speeding seems harmless but one foul up that's it. It's not just speeding these ghost emblems are good for texters and cellers. Catching them off guard. In my old home town 3 were killed speeding around a curve in a rice burner. 1 ejected snd crushed by car other two heads crushed from roof collapsing. Do we all speed at one point. Im sure we all do. But reasonably the most 5 above maybe 10. But should one cry about unmarked and ghost cars? No. You chose to so take it like a man I say and own up to it. Personally I maybe go 5 over. If people don't like it go around. There problem with loving to pay the fines and appear in court.

KB7MIB

...This one is not really a ghost car,it does have markings on the side faintly...They do have cars with no markings Im sure!

It's called a ghost car 'because' of the dark grey graphics on a black car. The graphics are hard to see most of the time, but are still retroreflective when your headlights light them up.
There are also blue graphics being used on blue cars, and silver/white graphics being used on white cars. Same effect. Hard to see at first, but still retroreflective when your headlights hit it.
Just like a ghost. You can't see it, until it wants you to.

And I think many more people need to respect the police, and society's laws, first. Then, there wouldn't be a need for the police to be sneaky, or be armed, and armored, to the teeth.

John
Peoria, AZ

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
AC2OY said:
That ***** just kept pulling like a high hooker!!!!!!

While I agree with fourthhorsemen, let's keep it professional. We do have a younger crowd on the forums gentlemen.

ri1470

Lots of these types of graphics on PD cars in Passaic County, Little Falls, Totowa, just about anywhere with a major highway is getting at least one of these done from what I've seen.

NY actually has a law that was passed in the 90's about unmarked pulling people over after dark, might might have been the evolution of where this type of design came from.

Just my .02

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Just seen one of these NJSP ghost cars in the rural area of Cumberland County this morning, Not far from the Bridgeton station responding to a accident. Cool car, Can't tell its them until there right up close.

I go slow now.😊
I started going slow when I hit 35. Now I'm up to "I'll be there when I get there." :lol:

===
Hope everyone will drive safely and with situational awareness this holiday season. These forums are a better place with all of you in them.

ShoreBullets

Its not an Impala, its a caprice. and as such, they are pretty noticeable since unlike impalas, only PDs can get a caprice.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The latest fad is the ghost markings on cars, but there are a lot of other ways to tell if it is an official vehicle. Those new soup can antenna's are noticable, the actual stance and tire width are really noticable, the excessive window tint not legal for you and I, plus as said certain vehicles are basically made for PD only now.
Ghost marked cars also goes to quiet down those that don't like truely unmarked cars for reasons already stated. New York State made illegal true unmarked cars for the NYSP 20 years ago, but due to the loss of monies the latest gov brought them back. Many a time I have heard from troopers and on their radio frequencies prior to them being brought back for enforcement that they had to let go really dangerous drivers and even chased and were asking for assistance from marked cars from any agency to help stop those vehicles. They are never going to stop the truely dangerous drivers, just the ones who are stupid enough to get caught.

A little trivia I have posted before, New Jersey back in the early 70's was broke and couldn't buy new police cars so they paid by the mile for Troopers to use their own car. Made for some very interesting traffic stops with Mustang's, Camaro's and Corvette's. You should hope they don't do that again.

"Hope everyone will drive safely and with situational awareness this holiday season. These forums are a better place with all of you in them."
+10 on that.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Bad Idea

One of the primary functions of LEO/CJUS is deterrence. Concealment and/or camouflage negates this. It comes down to what an agency wants to accomplish. Revenue collection or safety? A good supervisor or parent knows to patrol the office or home VISIBLY to deter misbehavior. If you sneak up and "catch" someone
doing something wrong out of the blue, you may cause them upset briefly. However, the types of impulsive
individuals who often lack self control are going to be the majority of violators that "ghost" cars are allegedly
trying to stop. Persons with that kind of profile are notoriously poor at learning from negative experience.

In summary, I'm putting forth the psychological notion that troublesome offenders usually respond well to actual police presence in terms of moderating behavior, but poorly with learning from past punishment, or obeying the rules because of what "God" or some non-visible legal authority demands. Obviously, this is not my original idea. If you sneak about you will catch people doing bad things, but isn't it better to go about proudly and overtly and prevent bad things to begin with. Of course I realize that there can be some limited situations that require stealth.

I recall being told, in my youth of about Louisiana State Police Car Per Man Program. (sorry google was not help here). There story was, an innovate LSP leader decided that visibility = deterrence and so ordered that each man have his own police car, which he could use as his daily driver, even off duty. Allegedly, this was considered a very succesful program. Years later in the late 1980's I believe, LSP began adopting a "stealth car approach" and I remember being surprised at this, as a dark navy almost black car is hard to see at night. Fortunately, this was a short lived mistake, and they, fairly quickly returned to more traditionally colored units.

Lastly, to those of you who are dismissive of the notion of "speed traps" as being the whining of violators,
let me encourage you to rethink that. Perhaps the LEO in you area are unfailingly honest in their duties. If they are, rejoice, because you may be quite lucky. Many of us have to tolerate what is essentially tax collection at the barrel of a gun. You say don't speed and you'll be ok. I'm afraid not. My first encounter
with this was with my father, in a delivery truck. He was falsely cited for 71 in a 50 zone, in a vehicle whose top speed was 67. I was with him and looking at the speedo, we were doing 45. This trooper was later
found to be stealing cocaine from an evidence locker and canned. A close friend who is a retried trooper
was victimized in a well known local speed trap town, cited for 80 in a 45. He never sped. I could go on and on, but speed traps are quite real. They also involve towns setting absurd speed limits, or speeds which alternate from fast to slow with frequency, in a deliberate attempt to confuse. I've also known people who have been cited for "speeding" which was probably within the error rate of their speedo's 2-3mph for example. I suspect part of the root of this problem is a system that rewards citations and arrests, vs
no citations and no arrests because the streets are actually safe. Imagine if your physician got a point toward promotion every time he hospitalized someone.

Regards,

JB

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Many of the Sheriff's and City PDs in Florida have a take home program for Deputies and Officers. It has been very successful and I know many friends in LE that use their marked department vehicle off duty. It helps increase officer presence which deters crime (you don't know if the marked car behind you is a guy on duty or going to the grocery store but I'll bet regardless you won't do 85 MPH); the LE takes pride in the vehicle because it is his or hers "in a sense" and not a pool car...therefore maintenance costs go down because it's not beaten on; it's a force multiplier...they are required to be on the the district radio channel in the area they in so if a priority call comes in you have immediate additional manpower....why more agencies don't do it should be the question.

As far as speed traps...cmon. Even though it is a speed "limit" meaning that's it, no greater than, I don't know of anyone in LE that's going to pull you over for going a few mph over so your "speedo error rate" is just nonsense....I wouldn't touch someone for 70/55 during rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
They can and do

Signal-zero, I'm glad you or the officers around you are honest and ethical. I assure you this is not the case everywhere. I personally read my wife's citation from one of those speedtrap towns where she was
cited for doing TWO miles per hour over the posted speed limit (which was about 45, which suddenly
decreased from 65). This town is well known to us. It is so bad here, that there are many small
towns I avoid at all costs. Want to fight the ticket? Great, you get to have the case adjudicated by the town's mayor, who acts as judge. Good luck with that. Some of these towns have been known to get the majority of their budget from citations. Here is a reference:

Washington, La. scrutinized for being 'speed trap' | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Ultimately a bill DID pass. Local news reports indicated this town owed the state,
if my memory serves a few hundred thousand. My recollection, when last I heard of this, was surprise, that media reports indicate
that this town was NOT paying the state these citation revenues as required by law.

I might add that one of these types of towns began erecting speed traps along the interstate (well away from their town). It was only after merchants went on local television complaining about lost revenues that the situation resolved.

JB

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Conn SP cars used to have quick disconnects on their Whelen lightbars. They could throw them in the truck when not on duty. Although the grey crown vic with a multiple interior lights wouldn't give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.