• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMI mount to NmO connector SWR 10+

Is the grounding correct?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Imatensor

I've got an NMO mount with an NMO antenna connector. The coax is preexisting and hard to route in this bus. I had to solder the connector to the coax copper center conductor. The coax cable is 12' or less but completely hidden coming into the dash bay.

The mount is grounding to the aluminum rail. The connector coax shield is grounding to the mount. Is the my issue?

Should the mount be isolated from the coax shield,,?

I'm Running a President Bill II FCC.

Using the Astatic PDC1 swr.
image000001.jpeg
image000003.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
image000004.jpeg

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I see the base of the antenna is the NMO to a stud adapter but what is the antenna? Looks just a spring and a 4 foot whip which if the case will not work for CB without some matching coil?

Might be better off to get rid of the adapter and just use a Larsen NMO27 antenna with or without a spring.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
From what you are describing, your mount is good. The coax shield should show continuity to the NMO mount outer ring.

Install the NMO to 3/8" x 24 adapter and check for continuity:
1. Check the center of the coaxial connector at the dashboard end to the 3/8" x 24 center stud. There should be continuity. If there isn't, something isn't installed correctly.

2. With the NMO to 3/8" x 24 installed and WITHOUT THE whip/spring installed, check for continuity between the center pin on the coaxial connector to the outer shield. There should NOT be continuity.

That'll tell you if your coax, coax connector and the NMO - 3/8" x 24 adapter are good.

I'd agree, that looks like some random length whip and spring that may not be resonate near the CB frequencies. Looks far too short to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Imatensor

Correct. The coil is a Signal Kicker off a magnet Mobil mount. I didn't realize it was needed to make the spring whip work correctly. I'll look at the Larsen you mentioned. Thanks!

Imatensor

From what you are describing, your mount is good. The coax shield should show continuity to the NMO mount outer ring.

Install the NMO to 3/8" x 24 adapter and check for continuity:
1. Check the center of the coaxial connector at the dashboard end to the 3/8" x 24 center stud. There should be continuity. If there isn't, something isn't installed correctly.

2. With the NMO to 3/8" x 24 installed and WITHOUT THE whip/spring installed, check for continuity between the center pin on the coaxial connector to the outer shield. There should NOT be continuity.

That'll tell you if your coax, coax connector and the NMO - 3/8" x 24 adapter are good.

I'd agree, that looks like some random length whip and spring that may not be resonate near the CB frequencies. Looks far too short to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Ok. Thanks. The antenna was from a mobile magnet Signal Kicker. I didn't realize it wouldn't work without the coil. The coil won't attach to the NMO base. I need an aenna which will but not too long since I'm at '11 ta mount already

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok. Thanks. The antenna was from a mobile magnet Signal Kicker. I didn't realize it wouldn't work without the coil. The coil won't attach to the NMO base. I need an aenna which will but not too long since I'm at '11 ta mount already

The NMO-27 that N3OBL recommended would be a good option. It's about 4 feet long and a very flexible whip.
You may have some challenges getting it to show low SWR with the mount hovering over the roof top like that. They are designed for a direct roof top mount where the base is sitting on top of the ground plane.
But it'll probably do well enough.