Non-Resonant End-Fed Counterpoise Lengths

ultravista

I am planning a non-resonant end-fed using a Palomar Engineers 9:1 unun with a wire length of 135 to 138 feet for 160-80-40-20-17-15-12-10 meters (based on the link below).

Instead of using the coax as the 'other half' of the antenna, I prefer to use a counterpoise array. For the counterpoise(s), I have a roll of CAT 5 cable. CAT 5 gives me 8 wires to cut for varying lengths. It just so happens that the 135 feet will support 8 bands.

For a non-resonant end-fed, what are the recommended counterpoise lengths for 160-80-40-20-17-15-12-10 meters? Is there an advantage of having 8 different counterpoise lengths and will 8 improve usability vs. 1 counterpoise? I presume since the antenna portion of the system is not resonant, neither should the counterpoise(s). Correct or incorrect?

Wire Lengths: Random Wire Antenna Lengths

prcguy

The coax will always be part of the counterpoise on this type antenna unless you choke the heck out of it right at the transformer. If you add another counterpoise the RF currents will divide between the various counterpoise components including the coax with the most current running on one that is at or close to 1/4 wavelength or multiples then less current for other legs. Its similar to currents running in various resistors in parallel.

In my experience and most everyone who has tried this, using a 49:1 or 64:1 transformer and about 133ft of wire will put out a better signal than a 9:1 with similar length wire and you won't need a tuner on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 or 10 m and you won't need a counterpoise. This is the grandaddy of all end feds in my opinion. EFHW-7510-2K-Plus

ultravista

Keep in mind, the CAT 5 is twisted pair, so I don't know how well that will work as an antenna.

I plan on unraveling the pairs from the CAT 5 and should have mentioned that. It gives me 8 separate wires to work with.

The Palomar 9:1 is what I have on hand now.