Noob- General question on radio scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicerwizard

You can monitor ham transmissions by looking for them in the VHF and UHF ham bands. There should be online repeater directories for your area. In DSD+ FL, use the menus to enable Monitor Source Audio if No Sync and Signal Present to hear analog traffic.

The signals in those screen shots look like noise/garbage.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Also if you post screenshots please make them much larger. We can't see your configuration in the screenshot.

For DSD+ to work, you need to send RAW audio to DSD+ -- not filtered audio. I'm not sure what the setting is in SDRUno but it's probably there.

And yes, I agree -- it just looks like noise from your screenshots.

PS. In SDRUno, is there a way to set the step size? For HAM bands, you only need 5khz steps. You don't need 10 decimal places of accuracy. :)

alokpant

Thankyou. devicelab & slicerwizard. this forum limit the size of attachment so I was resizing the image to fit into attached file.

1>>or HAM bands, you only need 5khz steps. You don't need 10 decimal places of accuracy.
Can you elaborate what you mean. I am new to this and not sure what you mean

>>There should be online repeater directories for your area.
2. How do I find the directory. Is this the one here @ Travis County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference I see bunch of frequencies. Are these pure analog modulated audio (can hear it via SDrSharp/SdrUno directly) or digital (need DSDPlus?)
3. Similarly I find another link here @https://austinhams.org/repeaters. Same question; Is this analog or DMR etc signal.

I think I am close but off on some basic principle

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
In your SDRUno software there may be a setting to set specific frequency step sizes. That way, when you click in the window on a signal it "snaps" to the nearest 5khz freq of that particular signal. It makes it WAY easier to read on the screen and to figure out what frequency you're looking at.

Here's the 2m VHF list of repeaters in Texas. Click on COUNTY or another header to sort the list:

alokpant

Thanksyou @devicelab, I very much appreciate you taking time. Thankyou

I like to probe on information on repeater page and how to make sense of it - UYSF Digital Enabled, Yaesu Fusion DR-1 Mixed Mode, WireS-X 30461

1. I assume the Downink frequency is the frequency to listen on SDR. How about the other other terms WiresX, Fusion-DR1. Does this include digital mode, analog mode, both

2. Do I need to use DSDPlus+Virtual Audio to decode the traffic (Fusion?)
3. Do I need a bandpass filter (6K, 12K) etc to zoom on specific narraow range or this is WFM mode

Thanks again

===========
Downlink:146.88000
Uplink:146.28000
Offset:-0.6 MHz
Uplink Tone:107.2
Downlink Tone:107.2
YSF Digital Enabled
DG-ID:Open ↑ / Open ↓
County:Travis
Use:OPEN
Op Status:
ON-AIR
On-Air
Sponsor:
Affiliate:
Mixed-Mode:Yes; analog capable.
Links:Full-time to the Texas Nexus System.
Notes:Yaesu Fusion DR-1 Mixed Mode Repeater

Hit_Factor

1. Correct, wiresX is a protocol for accessing rooms, in DMR they are called talkgroups, in DStar they are called reflectors. Supports both FM and Digital modes. Repeater probably switches to analog when it detects the 107.2 tone.
2. Don't know
3. It's a digital signal, bandwith is same as nfm 12.5.

alokpant

Thankyou all! You all have been very helpful and patient with noobs like me. I will try again tonight and update

alokpant

Just like to update I was able to hear two repeater tonight - both analog repeater (freq 146.94) as well as fusion 146.880 with DSDPlus +Virtual Audio. Thankyou again for offering help

Status
Not open for further replies.