Noob question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aunt10a

I am sorry but I do not even know my model! It is a blue portable. When I click on scan I have the option to click on FIRE/POLICE. After I click on FIRE/POLICE it will do great until I get into the 800mhz range. Once it gets to 800mhz it will find a channel and make a weird noise. I am also interested in getting a mobile scanner for my car. What model would you folks get? I need to know what kind of antenna as well. I really don't want to drill holes, but I have seen a mount that I really like. It slips on the side of the trunk lip. I plan on listening to all different departments ranging from 140-800mhz. I come from Northern Ohio and they have a system called MARCS. Will I be able to listen to this MARCS via a scanner? Thank you for all of the help ahead of time. If I posted this in the wrong section please let me know. Have a good one!

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing your scanner -- I can't say for certain -- but usually the generic "fire/police" things scan a range of frequencies commonly used by those agencies.
This doesn't mean it will scan/stop on frequencies ONLY for those agencies -- nor does it mean that it won't stop on digital/encyrpted frequencies.
Lock out the frequencies you do not want to hear or turn up the squelch.
As for your specific ohio question -- try posting in the ohio forum.
I use a pro 197 for home&mobile.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I come from Northern Ohio and they have a system called MARCS. Will I be able to listen to this MARCS via a scanner? Thank you for all of the help ahead of time. If I posted this in the wrong section please let me know. Have a good one!

Yes, you can listen to Ohio MARCS. The only catch (there is always a catch, right?) is, you will need a digital trunking scanner to do so.

Most, if not all of the public safety functions are, at the very least, on 800Mhz trunked systems, with the vast majority of them already digital in nature, or to become digital in the not too distant future.

One last caviat. As I am in SOUTHERN Ohio, I am not too familiar with this, but it is my understanding that Cleveland, in particular, and several other agencies "up north" encrypt their signals --- which means, that you can not monitor them (legally) with ANY scanner on the market. You may want to do some research on this site to see if any of what you are interested in is encrypted.

I monitor OH MARCS "down here" without problem.

I do not recall that you mentioned the particular model of scanner that you have already, or whether you are "in the market" to get one.

If you are looking to get a scanner, I very much recommend going ahead and shelling out the ca$h for a digital model. They can get analog transmissions perfectly, but also have the capability of listening to DIGITAL systems such as the OH MARCS system.

If radio shack is your preference: for a handheld, I recommend the PRO-106, which is a close cousin to the GRE PSR500. THere are tiny differences in firmware approaches to updating it vs its GRE cousin, etc, but, otherwise are largly identical. The 106 also has a "base unit" brother, the RS model# escapes me at this moment.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.