Nooelec Dongle not being detected by USB extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesZA

Doesn't Play Well With Others
Banned
if I don't use the Bias Tee feature would it present a problem, its actually $2 more.

JamesZA

Banned
^^The reason I'm asking is because the Bias Tee is always on, you can't turn it off.

slicerwizard

It doesn't sound ideal. Personally, I'd much prefer the orange FLightAware dongles, as they're far more sensitive above 400 MHz. I assume you want the antenna bundle, in which case, I guess the choice is yours.

hamradionl

@JamesZA,

NooelecSmartTeeV4 there sensitivity are good and use 4x of those, into a 7 poorts Powered USB Hub using a 4 Amp powersupply
no problems with it.
Nooelec or any other RTLSDR some case, not always, have difficulties with USB extension longer as 5 or 7 meter depending used on Laptop or PC power, somecase need a extra Powered HUB on the end of USB extension cable or use a shorter USB extension cable.
1 or 2 meter shorter USB extention will do the trick to get it running without use of Powered USB hub

spongella

Premium Subscriber
As for a Bias-T, it is used if you want to power a device such as an amplifier that you'd install in line with the coax. But you'd have to make sure the amplifier runs on the same voltage supplied by the Bias-T. The RTL-SDR.com v.3 dongles have a Bias-T that can be turned on or off. It's not really a "must have" in my opinion.

JamesZA

Banned
Its the USB extension cable itself that was the problem. They keep fooling me with the amount sold and ratings.

Although I don't know why 1 dongle would work and 1 wouldn't with the extension. I was using them one at a time to check.

I'm done with ebay.

JamesZA

Banned
@JamesZA,

NooelecSmartTeeV4 there sensitivity are good and use 4x of those, into a 7 poorts Powered USB Hub using a 4 Amp powersupply
no problems with it.
Nooelec or any other RTLSDR some case, not always, have difficulties with USB extension longer as 5 or 7 meter depending used on Laptop or PC power, somecase need a extra Powered HUB on the end of USB extension cable or use a shorter USB extension cable.
1 or 2 meter shorter USB extention will do the trick to get it running without use of Powered USB hub

Thanks for your response.

I ordered the following USB extensions in 3ft (the shortest one they sold).

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Rich hand click on the .bat file for FMP24 and select edit. Does it show like this?
FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20001 -P0.5 -g42 -b12.5 -f859.4625

The i1 is referring to the first dongle in the device list.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Well, that was certainly...interesting. I think we're done here after that tirade.

Status
Not open for further replies.