Noontime Demonstration Best HF band to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golay

Hello:

I have been "army style" volunteered to demonstrate ham radio to a group of people not yet in the hobby. My plan is to use a club HF rig, throw a dipole in a tree at the site, and make some contacts. I'm not an HF guy. Field Day is literally the only time I work below 2 meters. So I know nothing about band conditions, etc.

So my question is:
What would be the best band to ensure that the group could make some phone contacts right around noon from the Detroit area? Looking at the site, I got room for up to a 40 meter dipole. But just curious would 20 be a better chance that time of day?

And just in case the bands are in the tank, there will be someone standing by on 440 to talk to the group.

Thanks for any assistance.

N9RMA

Little more info please. What freq. on 40 and what is your call sign? Bob N9RMA

prcguy

For me 40m during the day has some ground wave out to maybe 50mi then a dead zone to about 300-500mi out then nobody else. I think 20m during lunch hour would give a more impressive demonstration with DX and the antenna requirements would be smaller also.

A dipole is good but a 20m end fed half wave hanging vertical on a 33ft fiberglass mast will have better low angle for DX and doesn't require any real estate.
prcguy

WA8ZTZ

40 meters has been marginal with lots of QSB here (Detroit area) past several days. Maybe have something ready to go on both 40 and 20 as a backup. 20 would usually be the better DX choice around midday.

Golay

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like 20 meters is the consensus.

Sorry prcguy, but I think I'll just go with a homemade dipole.
May just wait and build the dipole with the group. I already got dogbones, coax and wire. And an RC helicopter to put string over two trees (that part will be done the night before). I'm not gonna buy or try and find someone with a 33' mast for a one time outing.

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like 20 meters is the consensus.

Sorry prcguy, but I think I'll just go with a homemade dipole.
May just wait and build the dipole with the group. I already got dogbones, coax and wire. And an RC helicopter to put string over two trees (that part will be done the night before). I'm not gonna buy or try and find someone with a 33' mast for a one time outing.

As long as you have the HF rig set up, you might also jump over to WWV frequencies and show how the the propagation is different on each band and briefly explain there's more on HF than just amateur radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.