NORAD Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiend15

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have seen a lot of posts where people talk about how active the NORAD frequencies were during 9/11. I have in my scanner the frequency of 364.200 which is the NORAD nationwide frequency I believe. Can anyone tell me what are some must have frequencies programmed into my scanner for NORAD. If it helps I live in upstate New York about 30 miles north of Albany.

Thanks for any help.

kmacka

You might want to check out the Milair thread in the Maryland discussion forum. There are alot of really good frequencies that I loaded up my scanner with. Tinear dumped alot of his mil air frequencies into that thread and is the best source I've found.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think I read just recently that NORAD realigned how it divides up the US; basically most of the East Coast is in one sector, so yes anything TinEar might have is a potential target. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if they use different frequencies in the NY area. Still it's worth a shot.

73s and GL..Mike

TinEar

kmacka said:
You might want to check out the Milair thread in the Maryland discussion forum. There are alot of really good frequencies that I loaded up my scanner with. Tinear dumped alot of his mil air frequencies into that thread and is the best source I've found.

The Maryland MilAir thread is a huge beast. Rather than trying to search the entire thread, I loaded all my frequencies into the first 50 messages on the current thread - one bank at a time. So, starting at the first page will get you there quickly.

ka3jjz/Mike said:
I think I read just recently that NORAD realigned how it divides up the US; basically most of the East Coast is in one sector, so yes anything TinEar might have is a potential target. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if they use different frequencies in the NY area. Still it's worth a shot.

73s and GL..Mike

That's correct Mike. Basically, everything east of the Mississippi is now in one area called the "Eastern Defense Sector" headquartered in Rome, New York. Operational control is located at Tyndall AFB Florida. (Western headquarters is at McChord AFB WA) So, in my freq lists, anything labeled as "HUNTRESS" is a NORAD freq and will be valid for the eastern U.S. Yes, there are different freqs used in different parts of the country but the only way to learn which are used in your area would be to plug them all in and start listening.
http://www.norad.mil/about_us.htm

Last edited:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
It is all Huntress east of the Mississippi, operational control is moving from Tyndall also. (something about they finally got sick of the hurricanes) They are digging in Rome as we speak for the new headquarters building. I can almost throw a stone and hit the building from where I am.

D

DaveNF2G

Does that mean FOOTROPE is gone, or is that Canada's callsign?

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
studgeman said:
It is all Huntress east of the Mississippi, operational control is moving from Tyndall also. (something about they finally got sick of the hurricanes) They are digging in Rome as we speak for the new headquarters building. I can almost throw a stone and hit the building from where I am.

I thought that Huntress has been at Rome for years? I remember meeting a nice MP with an M-16 who ran my plates. I parked my car and walked up to the 'entrance'. I didn't even touch the door. Turned around and walked away. Then as I was backing the car out of the space, I saw the M-16 in the rear view mirror. ;)

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The consolidation of the Air Defense Sectors has been going on for about 20 years now. You may remember when they consolidated the NW and SW into WADS at McCord around 1990 I think. Well they were supposed to do the same thing in the East, but never quite got around to it completely. The Eastern half maintained two operational centers in Rome (Griffiss) and Pensecola (Tyndall) with a joint command located at Tyndall. The operational centers have since been consolidated to the Rome location, the Command is in the process of moving, They are building an new administrative building next to the Ops center. This isnt anything classified, a google search and some time reading will tell you everythign you want to know.

While Huntress is used in the US, FOOTROPE is still used in Canada. Canada does operate out Rome also. There is a fairly significant contingent of Candian Air Forces in Rome. If you hang out in the right bars you can find them with their wierd cigarette packs. And of course if they are in their duties, the maple leaf kinda stands out at McDonalds or the grocery stores.

And yes security is a little touchy, there are quite a few assests those security forces protect. Just imagine them durring woodstock!

Tahiya

The consolidation of the Air Defense Sectors has been going on for about 20 years now. You may remember when they consolidated the NW and SW into WADS at McCord around 1990 I think. . . .

Greetings . . .

Iz wonderin' what year it was that they added that 75 foot dish at North L:iberty, Iowa into the array - there's two there now, the old smaller one moved from the Hills, Iowa location.

No big deal though. Great discussion board - it's nice to be able to chat with someone who might understand what it is - ya' know havin' to ALWAYS be so darn secretive with the significant other(s) - but I understand of course - I mean they are after all targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.