Norfolk Southern MOW

dryfb

Not sure if this should go in Ohio or railroad forum so I'll put it here; anyone know the NS MOW frequencies for NW and central Ohio? AAR 63 may be correct for ex Conrail but I don't think AAR 18 is used in my area due to that being a road and dispatch channel not too far away. Also had MOW around my area a few months ago and did listen for activity on both frequencies before scanning standard and splinter frequencies, ended up not hearing anything though. Not sure if this should go in Ohio or railroad forum

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this should go in Ohio or railroad forum so I'll put it here; anyone know the NS MOW frequencies for NW and central Ohio? AAR 63 may be correct for ex Conrail but I don't think AAR 18 is used in my area due to that being a road and dispatch channel not too far away. Also had MOW around my area a few months ago and did listen for activity on both frequencies before scanning standard and splinter frequencies, ended up not hearing anything though. Not sure if this should go in Ohio or railroad forum

Have you checked the WIKI?

Or the database?

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Two years ago there was a big rail replacement project on the Sandusky District. IIRC, the MOW crews were working on AAR channel 10 (160.260MHz) with C&S on AAR 56 (160.950MHz). Years ago, I remember catching MOW crews in Tennessee talking on AAR 92 (161.490MHz).

Unofficially, I have heard MOW crews on a gang will utilize a channel in the clear at a given location and that frequency would be different between different gangs and locations.

dryfb

Two years ago there was a big rail replacement project on the Sandusky District. IIRC, the MOW crews were working on AAR channel 10 (160.260MHz) with C&S on AAR 56 (160.950MHz). Years ago, I remember catching MOW crews in Tennessee talking on AAR 92 (161.490MHz).

Unofficially, I have heard MOW crews on a gang will utilize a channel in the clear at a given location and that frequency would be different between different gangs and locations.
Thank you! I do very much so care about the sandusky district frequencies when I'm up at the lake so I'll program that in today. 56 is a yard around me and I can hear it from about 12 miles away on the same radio and antenna NS uses so I don't think that will be too active but I have hope for 92 and 10.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

NS doesn't appear to have a system-wide dedicated MoW channel like CSX does (at least on the former Chessie lines). I've noticed over the past few years that with the all-channel radios, they've sometimes taken to using whatever they feel like using at a given location; if it's not in use in that area, they just pick it and go.