Norwalk Alpha Tags

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
So, I've dug into my radio logs for Norwalk, a city with close to 500 radios, and I have lots of questions....

First off, I'm a little unclear on what certain designations are in the OTA aliases.
For instance, some show what looks like maybe a badge number, these are in F08xx format as follows:
"103 PD F0825-M"
"103 PD F0805-M"
"103 PD F0806-M"
"103 PD F0807-M"
"103 PD F0810-M"
"103 PD F0828-M"
"103 PD F0830-M"
"103 PD F0836-M"
"103 PD F0844-M"
"103 PD F0850-M"
"103 PD F0853-M"
"103 PD F0864-M"
"103 PD F0882-M"
"103 PD F0894-M"
"103 PD F0898-M"
"103 PD F0903-M"


Norwalk does publish arrest/citation logs with badge numbers and they do not seem to match this format.

Another question I have relates to the numbering scheme of patrol cars. I see that some mobile radios are in the "103 PD CAR XXX" format, indicating easily enough that these are vehicle numbers. However, among these are radios with aliases in the "103 PD XXX-M" format, leading me to believe that these are perhaps badge numbers rather than vehicle numbers, but not knowing definitively what format the badge numbers are in I can't speculate.

A few more that still have me scratching my head:
"103 PD PLTC-CS"
"103 PD PTLS-CS"
"103 PD X4236"
"103 PD X4237"
"103 PD X4238"


One other thing and then I think I've blathered enough for starters...

The aliases "T103-OP01" through "T103-OP08" don't do a great job of describing the specific use of each of the operations consoles, same with "103 DISP CS 1" through "103 DISP CS 3".

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to weigh in here.
 

iowa9015

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 3, 2020
Messages
19
Reaction score
11
Location
Waterbury, CT
So, I've dug into my radio logs for Norwalk, a city with close to 500 radios, and I have lots of questions....

First off, I'm a little unclear on what certain designations are in the OTA aliases.
For instance, some show what looks like maybe a badge number, these are in F08xx format as follows:
"103 PD F0825-M"
"103 PD F0805-M"
"103 PD F0806-M"
"103 PD F0807-M"
"103 PD F0810-M"
"103 PD F0828-M"
"103 PD F0830-M"
"103 PD F0836-M"
"103 PD F0844-M"
"103 PD F0850-M"
"103 PD F0853-M"
"103 PD F0864-M"
"103 PD F0882-M"
"103 PD F0894-M"
"103 PD F0898-M"
"103 PD F0903-M"


Norwalk does publish arrest/citation logs with badge numbers and they do not seem to match this format.

Another question I have relates to the numbering scheme of patrol cars. I see that some mobile radios are in the "103 PD CAR XXX" format, indicating easily enough that these are vehicle numbers. However, among these are radios with aliases in the "103 PD XXX-M" format, leading me to believe that these are perhaps badge numbers rather than vehicle numbers, but not knowing definitively what format the badge numbers are in I can't speculate.

A few more that still have me scratching my head:
"103 PD PLTC-CS"
"103 PD PTLS-CS"
"103 PD X4236"
"103 PD X4237"
"103 PD X4238"


One other thing and then I think I've blathered enough for starters...

The aliases "T103-OP01" through "T103-OP08" don't do a great job of describing the specific use of each of the operations consoles, same with "103 DISP CS 1" through "103 DISP CS 3".

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to weigh in here.
T103-OP01 through OP08 is the standard numbering scheme for consoles on the system, with the UID’s also following the same standard scheme 1039001. That’s how they’re aliased and ID’ed throughout the entire system. The CS aliases are for desktop control stations that may have different varying purposes. 🤷‍♂️
 

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
That’s how they’re aliased and ID’ed throughout the entire system.
I appreciate the reply but while 1039xxx is certainly the Radio ID scheme for consoles, the part about aliases is
not factual, in fact this is the first town of many I've even come across that simply names all of their consoles Operations 1-8. In almost all cases, the OTA aliases of the consoles ("control stations") contain an indicator of the agency they are used for....hence the question.

The CS aliases are for desktop control stations that may have different varying purposes. 🤷‍♂️
Understood....the "different and varying purposes" is what I'm trying to find out.
 

seagravebuff60

Forensic Scanist
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 11, 2016
Messages
1,489
Reaction score
843
Location
127.0.0.1
As stated above, T103-OP1 thru Op 8 folow the stardard numbering sceme for the system. A dispatch console (“OP”) is where the actual human dispatcher sits. “Op” in this case standing for Operator, not operations.

Im not too fimular with norwalks communications but my guess is each Console in the Dispatch room has acess to everything, so one human dispatcher can work multiple TGs or calls at once from their console possition. Hypothetically, If im the dispatcher i can sit down at any of the 8 consoles anytime and work everything. Instead of having OP1 be PD only, OP2 EMS only & OP3 FD only.

I have seen plenty of dispatch centers operate this way, including CSP. Not just in CT aswell.
 
Last edited:

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
OK I think I've wrapped my brain around this:
if I'm understanding correctly, a 9xxx number can be a console OR a control station, anything having a specific name being a control station (whether or not denoted with a -CS suffix) and anything numbered in the T103-OP0X format being a console.

So in this example snippet from Haddam, would it be correct that these are all control stations with no consoles listed?
619001"061-RSQ 7-13"
619004"061 RADIO OFFI"
619006"061-CNTRL13A"
619007"061-CNTRL13B"
619008"061-EOC"
619009"061-GOOSE-CS"
619011"061-BAKER-CS"
 

seagravebuff60

Forensic Scanist
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 11, 2016
Messages
1,489
Reaction score
843
Location
127.0.0.1
So in this example snippet from Haddam, would it be correct that these are all control stations with no consoles listed?
619001"061-RSQ 7-13"
619004"061 RADIO OFFI"
619006"061-CNTRL13A"
619007"061-CNTRL13B"
619008"061-EOC"
619009"061-GOOSE-CS"
619011"061-BAKER-CS"
It really depends. Each town will be slightly different, and this is where a guess comes in handy.
619001 - No idea
619004 - 061 Radio Office
619006 - No idea
619007 - No idea
619008 - 061 EOC (Emergency Operations Center)
619009 - No idea, but this is a control station; could be Goosetown Control Station?
619011 - No idea, but this is a control station; On calls, it sounds like it may be a patch to some conventional resource
 

seagravebuff60

Forensic Scanist
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 11, 2016
Messages
1,489
Reaction score
843
Location
127.0.0.1
if I'm understanding correctly, a 9xxx number can be a console OR a control station, anything having a specific name being a control station (whether or not denoted with a -CS suffix) and anything numbered in the T103-OP0X format being a console.

Yes. In the P25 Unit Identification Structure wiki, it states (Keep in mind that not everyone follows the structure like they are supposed to)
In all cases, the following additional values of S are used:
7 - Special (aircraft/motorcycle/command post, etc.)
8 - Control Station
9 - Other / Consoles
0 - Special Devices
 

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
Yeah I think what thew me about the term "Control Station" is that according to the Wiki you referenced, a "Control Station" is denoted by an 8 rather than a 9, and I've seen very few numbered this way.

Which has me wondering, is there a further hardware differentiation between an 8xxx control station and a 9xxx control station?
 

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
I should have included the descriptions in the Haddam example, as I've been able to identify everything with the exception of the 13A and 13B control stations:
Fire Rescue 7-13619001"061-RSQ 7-13"
Radio Office619004"061 RADIO OFFI"
Control 13A619006"061-CNTRL13A"
Control 13B619007"061-CNTRL13B"
Emergency Operations Center619008"061-EOC"
Valley Shore - Haddam Repeater (Goose)619009"061-GOOSE-CS"
Valley Shore - Haddam Neck Repeater (Baker)619011"061-BAKER-CS"

I found it interesting that one of the control stations listed is aboard a fire truck, but maybe that's more common than I'm thinking.
 

nhfdcadet

CETsr
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
716
Location
New Hartford, Ct
I should have included the descriptions in the Haddam example, as I've been able to identify everything with the exception of the 13A and 13B control stations:
Fire Rescue 7-13619001"061-RSQ 7-13"
Radio Office619004"061 RADIO OFFI"
Control 13A619006"061-CNTRL13A"
Control 13B619007"061-CNTRL13B"
Emergency Operations Center619008"061-EOC"
Valley Shore - Haddam Repeater (Goose)619009"061-GOOSE-CS"
Valley Shore - Haddam Neck Repeater (Baker)619011"061-BAKER-CS"

I found it interesting that one of the control stations listed is aboard a fire truck, but maybe that's more common than I'm thinking.
Could have been a radio that was placed in the truck while one was pulled for service, a lot of times people just grab a radio off a shelf and swap it. Just speculating
 

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
Thanks guys, always learning something new about CLMRN. One would think after 4 years of tracking 12,000 radios I'd have a better understanding of the basics :p
 

adamfancher

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
499
Reaction score
150
Location
Winsted, CT
Ahhhh OK, things are making even more sense now:

"Combined Dispatch is the City of Norwalk’s Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for all emergencies"


So instead of thinking of Norwalk as a typical municipality with dedicated dispatch locations for each agency, I should be looking at it more in line with a countywide dispatch facility like Litchfield County Dispatch or Fairfield County Regional Dispatch which seem to have around 10 consoles labeled in the fashion described.

While the OTA aliases don't lend any hints, monitoring over time has led me to the conclusion that one console (6 I think) is only ever used (that I've heard) by Winsted Police and Torrington Police.

It would be interesting to dig through some audio records to see who the primary users are for Norwalk Dispatch center's consoles, if any, or used dynamically. Unfortunately I only get activity logs and no audio from Fairfield.

Thanks again for the insight!
 

Bearded_Schnauzer

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 24, 2024
Messages
67
Reaction score
15
Haddam Rescue Truck "7-13"619001"061-RSQ 7-13"
Radio Officer619004"061 RADIO OFFI"
Control 13A (might be at a fire station?)619006"061-CNTRL13A"
Valley Shore - Haddam Repeater (Goose Hill)619009"061-GOOSE-CS"
Valley Shore - East Hampton Repeater (Baker Hill) patch to 155.31619011"061-BAKER-CS"
 

Firebuff66

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
739
Reaction score
875
Location
CT
The aliases "T103-OP01" through "T103-OP08" don't do a great job of describing the specific use of each of the operations consoles, same with "103 DISP CS 1" through "103 DISP CS 3".

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to weigh in here.


This is how they do it for PD , patrol cars are CAR XXX Other mobiles in misc cars/trucks are PD XXX M. Officers are labeled with their names

FD Mobles are easy, Portables go by seating position, Nozzle, Can, Hydrant, Tiller, Irons

In Dispatch OP-6 is normally the Supervisor Op-1 is normally the PD dispatcher, as for Op-2,3,4,5,7,8 Not sure

The Control Stations are multi channel BUT CS 2 always comes up when dispatching FD and CS 3 always comes up when dispatching EMS.
So just guessing but those might be used for alerting
1031504"103 PD CAR 174"
1031505"103 PD CAR 145"
1031506"103 DC DINHO"
1031507"103 PD CAR 29"
1031508"103 PD CAR 4"
1031509"103 PD CAR 20"
1031510"103 PD CAR 26"
1031511"103 PD CAR 23"
1031513"103 PD CAR 109"
1031514"103 PD CAR 27"
1031515"103 PD CAR 28"
1031516"103 PD CAR 25"
1031517"103 PD CAR 34"
1031518"103 PD CAR 13"
1031520"103 PD CAR 165"
1031521"103 PD CAR 5"
1031522"103 PD F0805-M"
1031524"103 PD F0807-M"
1031528"103 PD CAR 7"
1031529"103 PD CAR 176"
1031530"103 PD CAR 49"
1031531"103 PD CAR 155"
1031534"103 PD CAR 164"
1031535"103 PD CAR 44"
1031536"103 PD CAR 80"
1031571"103 PD 185-M"
1031572"103 PD CAR 158"
1031574"103 PD CAR 159"
1031575"103 PD 196-M"
1031576"103 PD 187-M"
1031579"103 PD 94-M"
1034504"103 PD ODEA"
1034505"103 PD CUNNGHM"
1034508"103 PD MOQIN J"
1034509"103 PD WESGRBR"
1034511"103 PD YOUNG L"
1034512"103 PD BLAKE T"
1034513"103 PD SDLCK D"
1034516"103 PD CALISE"
1034521"103 PD TOLNY A"
1034523"103 PD HOLMS R"
1034524"103 PD EVRTS R"
1034526"103 PD NYQST M"
1034529"103 PD TAYLR L"
1034532"103 PD ORR D"
1034533"103 PD KRUGR G"
1034536"103 PD MOSHR J"
1034537"103 PD DELLO R"
1034539"103 PD BISCGLE"
1034542"103 PD CSERO D"
1034543"103 PD SUDA M"
1034544"103 PD REYES"
1034545"103 PD HDYMA D"
1034546"103 PD VENTO C"
1034549"103 PD FITZMRC"
1034551"103 PD SLLAS M"
1034552"103 PD NICK K"
1034554"103 PD LOWE M"
1034555"103 PD EGLSH P"
1034557"103 PD IMPARTO"
1034558"103 PD RDRGZ J"
1034562"103 PD TABORDA"
1039001"T103-OP01"
1039006"T103-OP06"
1039007"T103-OP07"
1031012"103 FD C3-M"
1031013"103 FD C4-M"
1031015"103-FD-C1M"
1031020"103-FD-C7M"
1031021"103-FD-E2M"
1031022"103-FD-E3M"
1031023"103-FD-E4M"
1031024"103-FD-E5M"
1031025"103-FD-E6M"
1031027"103-FD-HAZ2M"
1031031"103-FD-R2M"
1031033"103-FD-T2M"
1031034"103 FD T1-M"
1031042"103 FD SPR-M"
1034002"103 MECH1-P"
1034011"103 FM12-P"
1034012"103 FM4-P"
1034013"103 E1 NOZ-P"
1034017"103 FM 6-P"
1034019"103 E2 HYD-P"
1034023"103 E3 NOZ-P"
1034024"103 E3 HYD-P"
1034026"103 FM 10-P"
1034033"103 E5 NOZ-P"
1034034"103 E5 HYD-P"
1034043"103 T1 CAN-P"
1034044"103 T1 TILL-P"
1034048"103 T2 CAN-P"
1034049"103 T2 TILL-P"
1034052"103 R2 IRN-P"
1034053"103 R2 CAN-P"
 

PurityControl2

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 18, 2024
Messages
88
Reaction score
67
Ahhhh OK, things are making even more sense now:

"Combined Dispatch is the City of Norwalk’s Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for all emergencies"


So instead of thinking of Norwalk as a typical municipality with dedicated dispatch locations for each agency, I should be looking at it more in line with a countywide dispatch facility like Litchfield County Dispatch or Fairfield County Regional Dispatch which seem to have around 10 consoles labeled in the fashion described.

While the OTA aliases don't lend any hints, monitoring over time has led me to the conclusion that one console (6 I think) is only ever used (that I've heard) by Winsted Police and Torrington Police.

It would be interesting to dig through some audio records to see who the primary users are for Norwalk Dispatch center's consoles, if any, or used dynamically. Unfortunately I only get activity logs and no audio from Fairfield.

Thanks again for the insight!
Any Console of LCD's can access any frequency or talkgroup. Console 4 (OP4) is usually assigned for Torrington PD. Console 6 is usually assigned for Winsted PD. However, I have seen plenty of times other consoles transmitting on those talkgroups, Console 1, 2, any of them. It just depends on various factors, but yes, any console can be used for any talkgroup (to my knowledge) and while certain consoles are used for specific purposes frequently, it is not a permanent assignment, again, to my knowledge
 
Top