• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Not hearing Tones and Dispatch on 800

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
ive got a old Uniden BC76XLT that ive used for years to listen to local VFD’s, recently, my town switched to 800 on the Radio system all the local area pretty much uses. But for whatever reason, i dont hear the tones, and the dispatch of the call, only hear the VFD start talking after dispatch, and can han hear dispatcher talk to them then. But, Tones and dispatch of actual call is still coming across on the old analog freq? Any ideas, town next over is on the 800 also, but they still mainly use the old VHF, But i hear the tones and dispatch on that channel at the same time as i do on the 75xlt scanner, but i dont on my town i live in. Which is Silsbee, Tx, Kountze VFD in Kountze Tx is the one i can hear the tones and dispatch on 800 and vhf at the same time, but only hear Silsbee tones and dispatch on vhf

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Since they're a VFD, there may not have been enough funds available to justify replacing everything.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Many Departments are Paging on their old VHF and Operating on their new Trunking System due to the cost or replacing all the pagers with the only game in town costing over $600 per pager.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Maybe so, the town i just moved from, same county, just a town over, and its a much smaller town, when they dispatch it comes across on both the vhf and 800, but they mostly talk on the old VHF majority of the time. The town im in now, works off 800 now, but when they tone it out and give the call, its on the vhf. They did recently change the tone they used, to a different sound, very short tone. Guess i’ll have to take 2 different radios around, because cant listen to both at same time on Pager, so i’ll know whats going on, and hear what the call was in the first place.

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
Maybe so, the town i just moved from, same county, just a town over, and its a much smaller town, when they dispatch it comes across on both the vhf and 800, but they mostly talk on the old VHF majority of the time. The town im in now, works off 800 now, but when they tone it out and give the call, its on the vhf. They did recently change the tone they used, to a different sound, very short tone. Guess i’ll have to take 2 different radios around, because cant listen to both at same time on Pager, so i’ll know whats going on, and hear what the call was in the first place.
Yeah, I can almost 100% guarantee they are dispatching on VHF and responding/command on 800. It’s more normal than you’d want to think.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
You can set up the pager to monitor VHF for the initial page on one knob, and then switch to another knob position for the 800MHz stuff.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
In tab E3, add your conventional frequencies, then go to tab E7 and create a new channel knob using monitor mode, or selective call (if you know the tone frequency). Only one frequency can be entered per knob position, so if you have several, add a new zone for just the analog stuff. If you do have more than one analog channel and want to scan them, create an additional knob for just scanning and add them to it.

If you get in a bind, feel free to PM me.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok, thanks for the info, everything i listen to is on 800, so thats the knob I moniter, i was thinking it would let me hear the tones, even on the 800, and then i could switch over to hear the dispatch. But, i guess not.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Is the 800MHz stuff conventional, or trunked? If it's conventional, you can have both scanning on a single knob.