BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Not much talk about this new scanner, but that's not bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed there hasn't been a lot of talk on the forum regarding the BCD996P2 scanner. But considering most talk is people complaining, that could be a good sign.

To being with, I've been in the hobby for 48 years, and I've own just about every scanner ever made. This applies to all the new digital scanners as well.

I received a new BCD996P2 a couple days ago, and I'm impressed so far. I live in North Macomb County, in S.E. Michigan. We have a Motorola P25 Phase 1 simulcast system. It has nine tower sites, and four of them are very close to me. Clear audio reception has always been a challenge. All the tricks have been implemented, and for the most part, the newer Radio Shack, and Whistler scanners work very well now.

I'm considering setting up an audio feed for Macomb County, MI PD & FD, as we haven't had one for several years.

I chose the Uniden BCD996P2 for several reasons. I like the build quality. It not only looks, and feels professional, and now that I've had one, it sounds professional! I like the big bright easy to read display. The software available is awesome! Butel's ARC XT PRO, as well as ProScan.

I've read many RR members, asking about the BCD996P2's ability to cope with simulcast systems. Some have claimed it's no better than the BCD996T, or the BCD996XT. In my area, the 996P2 appears to be performing perfect. We do not have any Phase 2 systems, yet, but rumors have been going around for some time now, that that upgrade is coming.

I'll report back after I've had it for awhile, but so far, I highly recommend this scanner, if you've been considering one.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I also have the same scanner 996P2, it seems to be a little more sensitive on the regular bands and does the decoding of IL-Starcom Digital PhaseI very well w/o and adjusting....The audio is very clear as is the audio on its brother the 325)P2.....

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
As far as I'm concerned its the best scanner on the market with the least amount of problems compared to some of the other so called good scanners that use a SD card to operate.

That's just my opinion.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
As far as I'm concerned its the best scanner on the market with the least amount of problems compared to some of the other so called good scanners that use a SD card to operate.

That's just my opinion.

I agree, both Whistler (aka; Radio Shack), and Uniden's scanners, using the SD, and/or MicroSD cards, have had a lot of problems. While it's a great idea, they seem rather delicate/fragile, and I wonder how they'll hold up over time. The cards are cheap enough, but if the card socket in the scanner breaks, repairs would require shipping the scanner both ways, plus repair cost.

I'm very careful with all my equipment. But not having them, is one less thing to worry about.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
996P2

I also own a 996P2. I got it in October 2015 and love it, I haven't had any problems with this radio. It's on 10 to 12 hours a day.
I would recommen this radio to anyone

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I bought my 996P2 back in April and it's been running great! I mainly bought it because I wanted to gain some experience working with a XT style scanner. Like some people have pointed out all ready, it is very sensitive on a lot of different bands. I only have a about 7 systems In it at the moment, but it still works great for a base radio at home!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.