• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Not my favorite CB, but...

slowmover

I’ve only had this AM/FM antenna setup going for 2 days now, but yes, it is much better than the stock wire antenna (which i had pretty good results with honestly). P25 coming in solid, even from another city 28 miles south of me. Standard VHF like County Rescue is crystal clear, and i even heard the Flight for Life helicopter in mid flight amazingly well. No complaints here.

Now you’ve got me thinking about using the 885 in the pickup, again, despite lack of SSB (guess I can carry an extra radio or two under the seat; sorta like antennas: rig for stationary op).

Removed the hood mount I’ve had on there since 2007 to re-mount closer to glass for another AM/FM antenna I’ve had sitting around a few years. Didn’t find an acceptable way to mount on big truck that didn’t involve too much compromise (fleet truck not owned by driver).

I’ll have to drill firewall to install cable gland, but have needed to do that anyway for power, etc. If my AM/FM takes the Motorola antenna connector on back, may just go ahead. And get splitter.

Now to figure out adjustable radio bracket as 885 & L2 not same size. Pickup gets fewer highway miles percentage-wise, and far more Metro in engine run-time.

We don’t appear to discuss it in league with CB use, but commercial AM/FM is an important adjunct to difficult periods on-road.

— I’d rate this factor as very high for vacationers, especially RV’ers where rig dimensions mean travel choices need be made earlier and with fewer alternatives available. (885 thread earlier linked).

I’ve not ever been impressed by the OEM AM/FM antenna. Hopefully the dx-1600 will bump that performance.

Non-NRC radio with KES-5 speaker already installed . . . and this pickup truck rig is starting to take over and design itself (given the propitious timing of this thread; thanks!)

The 885 Project has a green light for future. With program changes plus other, doesn’t make sense not to set it up. Ready to go.

Last edited:

slowmover

Performance wise, I expect the CB side to work as well as an 880 and the scanner side as well as a BCD325P2 as that is my understanding of what is inside it. The user interface and the programming is where things aren't quite on-par and that's mostly just a compromise to bring the two together in a package that's easy to use for the non-enthusiast.

I will pick one up eventually when I find a good deal on one. It will be perfect up front in my RV while the more exciting stuff lives in the back for while at camp.

IMG_6128.jpeg

slowmover

So just an update. I didn't like the stock wire antenna suction cupped to my window, so i bought one of these and one of these. I'm now using these splitters/adapters so the scanner can share the car stereo AM/FM antenna. It works much better than i thought it would. I thought about adding another external antenna, but i already have a Sirius/XM antenna, AM/FM antenna, hood mounted CB antenna, and hood mounted VHF/UHF antenna. I didn't feel like adding yet another.
View attachment 163334

May just set 885 in travel trailer, instead.

Can temporarily use the AM/FM antenna with that as that old stereo is not in use.

The below would be a relatively easy install location at the roof bow. Have an interior ceiling light fixture I can eliminate to set this, plus run future CB coax to a mount further aft.

Post in thread 'Vehicle roof mount antennas for SDS100?'
Vehicle roof mount antennas for SDS100?

IMG_1657.jpeg

The CB antenna gets more complicated as to type and mount.

Had truck wiring parts ordered and shipment fouled. So am going over other devices in trailer (Weather Radio, TV Antenna + Cable Junction & Pre-Amp, etc) as I re-organize interior storage.

100F+ daytime highs in North Texas are no joke. Hey, got down to 83F this morning before dawn!

Last edited:

KC3ECJ

Thanks!

I did open the stock mic and removed one of the 2 "noise cancelling" pads. TX audio improved a LOT. I've looked at those K-PO mics, but i have piles of D104 m6b's laying around from 30 years ago. I might wire one up yet, but again the CB wasn't my main reason for buying this. I like the GPS ability of the scanner to automatically adjust to my current location, and i've found the bear tracker warning system to be fairly accurate. My "skip" shooting radios are in the garage hooked up to some "fire in the wire" for when i want to chew the fat on the good old citizens band. The ability to listen/talk to drivers on 19 while traveling is a nice bonus though. The radio pictured above it is my main mobile "chatter box" for VHF/UHF communications.

I also stayed with the stock scanner antenna. It's thin and easily hidden. I have it running to the back window and mounted with the stock suction cups. I did a 200 mile round trip this weekend, and it picked up stuff from 30-40 miles away without a hitch, so i may just stick with it.
If you use the President McKinley microphone, you can change channels from the microphone.
I found that the 980 and McKinley use the same pin configuration

slowmover

The UNIDEN 885 Is a good example of a radio where being of service to others looms large.

I modified my Midland 120 Weather Radio to include a strobe flasher alert I placed in that large window seen above. An RV’er may recognize what it means and turn on his NWS receiver.

The 885 in its second life might be useful the same way. One reason I bought (6) KES-5 speakers in a lot off of eBay was to hang one outside under a cover. Scanner, CB, Weather Radio.

I might have the only one of any of these at a campground. At a rest area. In a highway pile-up.

Glad for this thread.

slowmover

If you use the President McKinley microphone, you can change channels from the microphone.
I found that the 980 and McKinley use the same pin configuration

Can use the DECT Bearcat Wireless Speaker/Mic to roam up to around 100-yards from unit ( eBay) as mentioned earlier.

The PRESIDENT Bluetooth mics introduced last year may also work. (I wouldn’t wait on those).

Power Mic is SOP with the U880/890 radios.

Xtreme 2018 mic is complicated to set, but gets the most from radio type.

Last edited:

KC3ECJ

The UNIDEN 885 Is a good example of a radio where being of service to others looms large.

I modified my Midland 120 Weather Radio to include a strobe flasher alert I placed in that large window seen above. An RV’er may recognize what it means and turn on his NWS receiver.

The 885 in its second life might be useful the same way. One reason I bought (6) KES-5 speak.ers in a lot off of eBay was to hang one outside under a cover. Scanner, CB, Weather Radio.

I might have the only one of any of these at a campground. At a rest area. In a highway pile-up.

Glad for this thread.

Yeah, I got a weather alert with the 980 about a tornado close by back in 2019.

slowmover

Yeah, I got a weather alert with the 980 about a tornado close by back in 2019.

Features vs long-range performance (no DSP) is how I’m looking at it.

An antenna-dependent install, vs highest radio performance.

An amplified public address system to leverage those, also.

IMG_6129.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

This plan of travel trailer set-up proceeds (staging pieces in one place). I really think the U-885 will shine in this application.

Have found two (2) 27-MHz antennas so far (SIRIO Boomerang and RADIOWAVZ Double Bazooka) . . the real surprise was that I’ve found more assembled RG58 than I realized I had (distance to set antennas from this all-aluminum trailer). Looks like I have over 50’, easy.

Have found “most” of the gear I assembled for using a BEARCAT BC355N while in big truck a few years back. Including a handy-dandy MFJ-310 with 50-ohm RG-174.

It might be better with a Bang-5, but that’d be used at same location if indoors.

The 355 can run 12V/120V as I recall.

I’ll mount it above the 885. It’s not worth much these days, but maybe dedicated to rail or air.

Found wood shelf partials I’d kept and ran across brackets/fasteners bought years ago, ha!

Also found an orphaned UNIDEN Bearcat BC20 Speaker to place in the queue with the W-M DSP and a KES-5.

And an orphaned KL-203p.

Too much else to do at present, but most all gear & supply is now at hand in one tool bag.

How to power it all plus antennas is another day.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
May just set 885 in travel trailer, instead.

Can temporarily use the AM/FM antenna with that as that old stereo is not in use.

The below would be a relatively easy install location at the roof bow. Have an interior ceiling light fixture I can eliminate to set this, plus run future CB coax to a mount further aft.

Post in thread 'Vehicle roof mount antennas for SDS100?'
Vehicle roof mount antennas for SDS100?

View attachment 167019

The CB antenna gets more complicated as to type and mount.

Had truck wiring parts ordered and shipment fouled. So am going over other devices in trailer (Weather Radio, TV Antenna + Cable Junction & Pre-Amp, etc) as I re-organize interior storage.

100F+ daytime highs in North Texas are no joke. Hey, got down to 83F this morning before dawn!

The little TV hookup area with the cigar socket and tv antenna with preamp is begging to have a mobile scanner on it. And that's just what I did for my Dad's old Mallard camper. Just a little 16ch Bearcat with just the space needed for a couple campground channels and the rangers and local police/sheriff and fire. WX scan rounded out the usefulness. Having something like an 885 and maybe an am/fm antenna matcher for the CB side would be a nice all-around comms unit for camping but not taking it too seriously.

Seasonal campers are the nosiest people I've ever seen and quite a few had scanners as well.

slowmover

The little TV hookup area with the cigar socket and tv antenna with preamp is begging to have a mobile scanner on it. And that's just what I did for my Dad's old Mallard camper. Just a little 16ch Bearcat with just the space needed for a couple campground channels and the rangers and local police/sheriff and fire. WX scan rounded out the usefulness. Having something like an 885 and maybe an am/fm antenna matcher for the CB side would be a nice all-around comms unit for camping but not taking it too seriously.

Seasonal campers are the nosiest people I've ever seen and quite a few had scanners as well.

Yup. Same area of TT. But up on wall under a shelf, is the plan. Across a large window is the Midland 120 mounted same.

First antenna acquired years ago: Glass-Mount CB. “Always On”. (Lunch stop, for example). Once parked then more performance can be set.

Both will be easy to monitor or just turn on/off.

IMG_6176.jpeg

$35.00

$12.00 glass-mount external antenna

Last edited: