NTECC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
1
Location
Texas
I've been listening to the new dispatch center for Carrollton, Addison, Farmers Branch & Coppell lately and it seems to be much busier than all of those four cities were when they had their own dispatch centers. I like that they have distinct tones for each type of call, makes it easier to listen for structure fires. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is the box numbering system. For those who used to follow Carrollton, they had an elaborate box map that has been replaced with a uniform system. But I have yet to find a pattern, like the first number corresponding to the city or something like that.

Another interesting thing is that the tones for FD are also apparently separated by city. On calls where another city is dispatched for mutual aid, a separate tone is sounded for their stations. A single tone set can open up the speakers for any combination of stations in Carrollton; but if Engine 131 from Farmers Branch needs to respond on the same call the tones have to go off again for those station speakers to open. Makes it a heck of a lot easier for the address of the structure fires to be heard. If units from Carrollton, Addison & Farmers Branch respond then it will be dispatched three times.

I'm also curious as to why Coppell joined this system. The bulk of their mutual aid has been to/from Lewisville, Grapevine and Irving. Coppell and Carrollton do share a border, but the population center of Coppell is such that those other three end up being closer to the bulk of the calls. Coppell used to be on Lewisville Pub Safety TRS, which made sense for the mutual aid aspect. Not sure why they would leave that to come to this system.
 

BenScan

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 12, 2001
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
410
Location
D/FW
My guess is that Coppell joined because of the combined dispatching and the combined training center that recently opened.

I'm at the edge of coverage, but do try to monitor them. I'll have to pay more attention to the box numbers. If they're 4 digit numbers, that might be the new Mapsco coordinates. Hurst uses those, and I still haven't gotten use to them. All of my Mapscos are the old 2-3 digit number/letter combination. I haven't even looked at the new versions, but I know Hurst seems to be covered by the 2### range of numbers.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

I've been listening to the new dispatch center for Carrollton, Addison, Farmers Branch & Coppell lately and it seems to be much busier than all of those four cities were when they had their own dispatch centers. I like that they have distinct tones for each type of call, makes it easier to listen for structure fires. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is the box numbering system. For those who used to follow Carrollton, they had an elaborate box map that has been replaced with a uniform system. But I have yet to find a pattern, like the first number corresponding to the city or something like that.

Another interesting thing is that the tones for FD are also apparently separated by city. On calls where another city is dispatched for mutual aid, a separate tone is sounded for their stations. A single tone set can open up the speakers for any combination of stations in Carrollton; but if Engine 131 from Farmers Branch needs to respond on the same call the tones have to go off again for those station speakers to open. Makes it a heck of a lot easier for the address of the structure fires to be heard. If units from Carrollton, Addison & Farmers Branch respond then it will be dispatched three times.

I'm also curious as to why Coppell joined this system. The bulk of their mutual aid has been to/from Lewisville, Grapevine and Irving. Coppell and Carrollton do share a border, but the population center of Coppell is such that those other three end up being closer to the bulk of the calls. Coppell used to be on Lewisville Pub Safety TRS, which made sense for the mutual aid aspect. Not sure why they would leave that to come to this system.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
1
Location
Texas
I do have this system up on a feed if that helps your reception of them. Also I saw Carrollton has a new mid-mount platform truck for Truck 112. Saw it responding to a call the other day, didn't know they had gotten one.
 

JB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
Another interesting note is how the answer the incoming phone lines. Last month I called 911 to report an injury MVA in Carrollton on the Sam Rayburn/121 Tollway. They answered with "N-TEC, may I help you?" Totally threw me off. I had to say "I'm sorry, I thought I was calling 911." She then said; "Yes, this is the police." I just found that strange.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
1
Location
Texas
Another interesting note is how the answer the incoming phone lines. Last month I called 911 to report an injury MVA in Carrollton on the Sam Rayburn/121 Tollway. They answered with "N-TEC, may I help you?" Totally threw me off. I had to say "I'm sorry, I thought I was calling 911." She then said; "Yes, this is the police." I just found that strange.

That is really odd. Saying NTECC makes it sound like you've called a business of some sort. There is no reason to abandon the tried and true, "911, in what city is the emergency?" or something similar. There should never be any doubt you've called 911 when the dispatcher answers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top