Numbers Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatHunter

Back in the heyday of shortwave radio I used to stumble upon numbers stations just about every day on several different bands. Today I have a decent antenna system and have really good reception on everything from 80m to 15m. But it must be at least 2 years or more since I've heard one of these signals. Do they still exist? Does Anyone post frequencies and times? Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Back in the day Radio Communications magazine used to get me fired up for this kind of thing.

Token

Yes, numbers stations still exist. Not as many or as active as they were 20 years ago, but they are still a daily thing.

Frequencies and times are sometimes posted here, and also over at the https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php forums.

There are several really good sources of data on these stations, but possibly the best, most user friendly, schedule is at priyom.org

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And they are regularly reported on the Utility DXers Forum list on groups.io. In fact there is a fairly extensive webpage devoted to links for this topic here...

Mike

SatHunter

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I look forward to checking out the links and trying to tune some of these mysterious stations in.

SatHunter

priyom.org also has the direct link to a local web SDR that will tune the frequency
Thank you very much! I used this site as a reference last night with my Sangean but didn't hear anything likely because of my location. I'm looking forward to trying it out with their SDR capabilities.

a417

Thank you very much! I used this site as a reference last night with my Sangean but didn't hear anything likely because of my location. I'm looking forward to trying it out with their SDR capabilities.
Yeah, if you don't have RF injected directly into your brainstem like Token does (j/k), it can be a little challenging to get them based on location. This is the next best thing, point and click and the schedule keeps you current.

SatHunter

Yeah, if you don't have RF injected directly into your brainstem like Token does (j/k), it can be a little challenging to get them based on location. This is the next best thing, point and click and the schedule keeps you current.
Just tried it out and it works great. I'm surrounded by a lot of noise so SDR has been very unreliable and conventional radio signal need to be pretty robust for uninterrupted reception. It's awesome to be able to log these stations again.

Status
Not open for further replies.