• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

nx1200 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfd34

so i picked up a kenwood nx1200 from a guy. he says the radio was never programmed brand new so i took it to my local radio guy and when he went to program it it gave him a market code error for programing. i sense have talked to kenwood and they said with these radios there was never a model made for a specific country and that the radio should work where ever. the guy i bought the radio from lived in Canada. can any one help me out with this i dont know what else to do at this point

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
There was some Europe nx1200 being sold around, that may be the issue.
Also, theres protalk versions that look the same, if he has D6 he should be able to read the transceiver info still and see what firmware is in it.

rcfd34

There was some Europe nx1200 being sold around, that may be the issue.
Also, theres protalk versions that look the same, if he has D6 he should be able to read the transceiver info still and see what firmware is in it.
Is there any way to tell? Other question if it was hooked up to a Canadian software to update firmware or something would that not allow it to be programmed in the usa?

rcfd34

Talked to the guy I bought it from said it was never programmed or even hooked up to programming software but my local radio said it just keeps giving him a market code error.. even called back to Kenwood again and talked to a very knowledgeable he said he's never heard of this code on this radio ever

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
my local radio said it just keeps giving him a market code error..

I'd be curious if he was actually using the correct software. That appears to be a US market radio from what I can tell. Nothing seems incorrect looking at the label. I hate to blame it on the tech, but sure seems like the issue is on the software end. I programmed a bunch of those recently and didn't have any problems at all with the KPG-D6N.

Last edited:

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I see in the photo that the model number above the barcode has a "D" in it. If I'm not mistaken, that indicates DMR firmware. If your radio guy was trying to program NXDN channels in it, that might account for an error or perhaps he didn't select the correct model in the dropdown box in KPG-D6N.
Also, the serial number starting with "C01" indicates a manufacture date code of 2020-January (for whatever that's worth). Hope you resolve issue as that's a nice model.

rcfd34

Does any one know what it would cost for me just to get my own software and programming cord I've done plenty of radios before but have been all free software that people have sent me once I bought the radios from them

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Does any one know what it would cost for me just to get my own software and programming cord I've done plenty of radios before but have been all free software that people have sent me once I bought the radios from them

KPG-D6NK NX-1x00 series programming software list price is $104.00
KPT-300LMC software license authentication software <free>
KPG-22UM USB - two pin programming cable list price $162.00

There's no way around the cost of the programming software. That is -list- price though, so with some haggling you should be able to drop that price down a bit. Under state contracts, there's usually a certain percentage off the top, but as an individual, you won't qualify for those.
The KPT-300LMC is free and is required to register the software. Don't let a dealer charge you for that. You'll also need the directions on how to activate the software, the dealer can provide that.
The KPG-22UM is a nice cable, but you can find after market ones cheaper.

The software is similar to earlier versions, and no where as hard to learn as KPG-D3N or KPG-D1N. It's very similar to KPG-111 and the older type windows software.

EWC_BDN

If it did come from canada it would be able to do wide band. We use KPG-D6 in canada and not D6N

rcfd34

So would that make it not able to be read? I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from said he used the d6n to make sure it worked b4 he sent it out

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So would that make it not able to be read? I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from said he used the d6n to make sure it worked b4 he sent it out

My experience is that the non-N software will read it, but will show and error and switch the wide band stuff to narrow. Never had a radio no be able to be read due to software version levels. It'll at minimum read it and give you an error message. Since the guy who tried to program yours said it wouldn't do anything, I suspect he had a cable or computer issue.

rcfd34

I know he programmed like 6 other radios while I was there but for some reason mine kept giving him that market code or w.e it was exactly I just wanna make sure before I buy software I'm not gonna have the same issue

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know he programmed like 6 other radios while I was there but for some reason mine kept giving him that market code or w.e it was exactly I just wanna make sure before I buy software I'm not gonna have the same issue

Well, since we don't know what caused it, I don't think anyone can rightly tell you if new software will work or not. People have been known to buy radios new and then bork them up by trying to do things incorrectly. It's a really new radio model and new software, so it would be easy for someone to not understand how it works.

It would be a long shot, and take some trust on your part, but sending it to one of us that has D6N and letting us give it a try and see the error for ourselves would be an option.

At minimum, I'd get the guy to try again, and if it pukes when he tries to read it, having him take a screen shot and send it to you so we can see what it says. So far there isn't much information to go off of, other than "someone tried and got an error. "

Status
Not open for further replies.