• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX240

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLEBILLY

Anybody help me a little here. Our sheriff office just went nextedge 155.490. I was wanting to know where I could get a kenwood or Icom maybe a NX240. I do have a ham ticket. Thanks guys for the help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Check your local Kenwood dealer. I'm not aware of anyone that sells them new on the internet. The Kenwood way of doing things is to use localized vendors.

You might want to keep your eyes on E-bay. Any of the NX-200, NX210, NX-220, NX-240's will do what you need. All of them will tune into the 2 meter amateur band without any issues.

A couple of things you should consider before purchasing the NX-240:
- It only does 6.25KHz NXDN/NexEdge. Some systems use the 12.5KHz NXDN/NexEdge. This radio will not do that.
- It will not do NexEdge trunking.
This might not be a big deal, but make sure you find out if any of the agencies you want to listen to are using 12.5KHz NexEdge.

The NX-240 is intended to be a basic business type radio, thus the lack of functions. A new NX-240 is going to run you $392 list price, but you should be able to find it considerably cheaper than that. (think 20-25% or so). An NX-220 is going to be around twice a much, but it gets you an LCD display, 6.25 and 12.5KHz NXDN, additional channels (260, vs 32 on the 240), more function buttons, etc.

An Icom would work just fine, but Icom NXDN/IDAS radios only do 6.25KHz NXDN. Again, might not be an issue if that is what the agencies you want to listen to are using.

There appears to be an NX-220 on eBay for less than $200 right now.
NX-210 with speaker mic for $350.

The NX-210 is good radio. I've got about 300 of the NX-410 (800MHz version of the 210) on my trunked system and they've been doing great. Our police department just ordered a bunch of NX-210's to replace aging Motorola gear.

racingfan360

Holebilly, before spending all your hard earned dollars on a new handheld, I would really recommend trying out a decode of the signal with software called DSD+. You'll need a scanner with a discriminator tap or a low cost dongle to plug into your windows pc. This will tell you the type of nexedge signal in use, if its trunked and if the dreaded encryption has been enabled.

Lots of info over on this forum:
Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.