NYS Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed the Rangers have been doing radio checks, on I believe the 159.465 frequency only, when they call central for on/off duty, and they seem to be mentioning the Harris portable specifically.

Anyone know what that's about? Don't recall hearing that before.

Darkstar350

I would say most likely doing radio checks preparing for hunting season

Ive also noticed that while there isnt much activity in general on rangers/DEC freqs they will however do radio checks, time checks and whatnot periodically - seems to be random at times...

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Ive also noticed that while there isnt much activity in general on rangers/DEC freqs they will however do radio checks, time checks and whatnot periodically - seems to be random at times...

That depends on where you live. In Region 5/6 (Adirondacks) the radio traffic is heavy all day. Searches, enforcement, summit stewards, etc.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
There isn't much activity in the CNY region, that's why I wondered if something new was going on with their radio system. I've never heard them mentioning what portable they're using.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Most NYS agencies (NYSP, Park Police, DEC, etc.) are being issued multi-band Motorola or Harris portables. This has been rolling out over the past few years. It's a reasonable assumption that they are testing their new Harris portables in your neck of the woods. Nothing out of the ordinary, just some new toys.

k2hz

Database Admin
That depends on where you live. In Region 5/6 (Adirondacks) the radio traffic is heavy all day. Searches, enforcement, summit stewards, etc.
Activity is almost non-existent in Regions 7, 8 & 9 for the last few years. Cell phone seem to be the preferred means of communication since they went to "Central" dispatch. I have heard units call Central via radio to advise that they will be out of cell phone range so they should be called by radio if needed. Much dispatch activity is on the county 911 channels and the DEC has TGs on many trunked systems in the area.

Region 5/6 does not seem as active as it used to be unless there is a search in progress. My reception of that area is marginal unless ducting conditions are present but I usually get some reception of Gomer and Blue.

Before the change to new PL tones several years ago, Region 5 had different PL tones for the northern and southern parts of the Region. Since then, the Region 5 towers in the south are all 131.8 but I can't confirm the north area. I occasionally hear units talking to Ray Brook on 159.435 with PL 173.8 but I can't make out unit numbers or details. I suspect it could be the Whiteface tower. Can anyone confirm the PLs for towers in the northern half of Region 5?

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Yes kb2

Funny you should mention, I heard a ranger checking in with a motorola portable last night. Apparently they are using two different portables and are attempting to figure out which are better...? I've been monitoring them for years and this is the first time I've heard this type of consistent radio model-checks. It also seems to be in conjunction with a check of their mobile radios at times as well.

It seems with all of the available trunked systems at their disposal that they would utilize them (like NYSP does) but it doesn't seem to be the case. I know they have 2 TG's assigned to them (DEC & Ranger) on my system but I've heard absolutely zero activity. I would think they'd be a little bit nervous out there on the job wondering if they will be heard if and when they need to be.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
As I said R7 Ranger were issued Motorola Radios.

Most all rangers in the CNYICC utilize those systems for daily operations. Cortland only has one ranger assigned. Until they got the new radios the only ranger with a radio was him so he had no one to talk to on the Ranger TG. Other than a couple of SAR events that talk group has not been used for this reason. Also realize we only have 6 ranger for all of Region 7. Its not like R5 & 6 where they have lots of Rangers. We are lucky to have one in a county. Up until this year Onondaga has been covered by 3 different Rangers.

harttony1

Premium Subscriber
Similar observation in Cayuga County last week. Testing on Frozen Ocean tower at end of shift. Tested both Motorola and Kenwood portables.

Yesterday in the ADK, I heard a ranger checking in with Raybrook on Gore testing a Kenwood portable, both "5 x 5", then another ranger reporting what he heard, 5 x 5 (using 159.435).

A few minutes later another ranger calling Raybrook to check in on Whiteface, this time, a Kenwood mobile, then testing another un-named portable.

Dispatcher always notes that they "will enter it in the log". Seems like a formal test plan going on in several areas.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
What unit number was on Frozen Ocean ? I ask as no rangers live in that area and most likely would use Georgetown. I know there are some ECO's out in that area.

Similar observation in Cayuga County last week. Testing on Frozen Ocean tower at end of shift. Tested both Motorola and Kenwood portables.

Yesterday in the ADK, I heard a ranger checking in with Raybrook on Gore testing a Kenwood portable, both "5 x 5", then another ranger reporting what he heard, 5 x 5 (using 159.435).

A few minutes later another ranger calling Raybrook to check in on Whiteface, this time, a Kenwood mobile, then testing another un-named portable.

Dispatcher always notes that they "will enter it in the log". Seems like a formal test plan going on in several areas.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
That was one of the things I keep forgetting to pay attention to. I'll try and remember to get those numbers.

I'm hearing these checks on both the 435 and 465 channels and the sugar hill, Gannet and frozen ocean towers for whatever that's worth.

k2hz

Database Admin
Similar observation in Cayuga County last week. Testing on Frozen Ocean tower at end of shift.

A few minutes later another ranger calling Raybrook to check in on Whiteface,

Did you happen to note the PLs for Frozen Ocean and Whiteface and did you hear them on 435 or 225?

I have been attempting to fill in the blank PLs in the RRDB NYSDEC listings for many years without success due to distance or infrequent activity from the sites with missing data.

Is "Frozen Ocean" what was called the "Curtin" site or has the tower been relocated to Frozen Ocean from the Curtin Road site?

I would really appreciate someone sharing their info so we have complete and accurate info in the RRDB.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
As reference all ranger radios are programmed for csq and do not use PL tones on receive. The only reason some sites transmit PL is so the RF links for Albany limit what towers they hear.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
The check I got last night was unit 884 on the 465 with both csq and pl 94.8 checking his kenwood mobile. Of course now I don't remember whether he said Sugar or Gannet.

Which leads me to wonder what towers those are as the RRDB doesn't show either of those listed.

k2hz

Database Admin
As reference all ranger radios are programmed for csq and do not use PL tones on receive. The only reason some sites transmit PL is so the RF links for Albany limit what towers they hear.

Thanks for confirming what I had always suspected that the PL is for the control stations so they only hear their associated tower. It makes sense that the mobiles are CSQ to be able to hear adjacent towers and mobile talk-around where multi-PLs are in use.

My reasons for being concerned with knowing the PL for monitoring are twofold:

I have intermittent local interference that makes CSQ reception unusable at times. I presently have each frequency programmed many times with each known or suspected PL so I can scan in PL mode to eliminate the interference. I have been attempting to narrow down the PL list to only the valid ones for the frequency.

The PL is an aid to knowing what Region and possibly the specific tower is being received which I find useful.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Unit 884 is a Region 8 Radio and most likely an ECO and not a Ranger. Region 7 are 8N7xx unit numbers. Although Frozen Ocean/Curtin towers are in Cayuga they cover into the west really well and are used there.

Understand the PL thing and i had my base with a few common PL for that reason but actually changed it recently as i missed some stuff i was trying to hear on a SAR Mission. All our SAR radios are now CSQ on RX.

D

DaveNF2G

The check I got last night was unit 884 on the 465 with both csq and pl 94.8 checking his kenwood mobile. Of course now I don't remember whether he said Sugar or Gannet.

Which leads me to wonder what towers those are as the RRDB doesn't show either of those listed.

RR's policy is to list sites by the town in which they are located according to FCC data.

Personally, I prefer using the site name because that is how the locals and the users know them. Also, sometimes the applicant lists the wrong town on the forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.