off topic bendix/king radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, sorry this is off topic, but im going to buy a bendix/king EPH model. My question is how hard is it to upgrade the channel capcity from 14 to 210 channels. And can you upgrade it to cover the 2m band?
Thanks
Scott B

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I have an older 14 channel MPH, I understood I could double the channels but the high/low switch would become the channel bank selector and tuning to the ham band needed the 'ham and eggs' software conversion. The main reason I didn't do this is opening up the case there is the normal data ribbon cable, which after 15 years I was told this may be very brittle and is best left alone. There is a place in Calif that does the upgrades and conversions and his advice is probably the best on this. Can't think of the name of the company but I want to say it's in Chico or No. Cal somewhere. I would wait and look for a 210 channel model esp if it does narrowband and goes from 136 to 160? for govt, forestry.

mancow

Database Admin
The channel upgrade requires a factory utility of some sort. There are guys around that can do it but I don't know how it's done.

As for the downbanding, Ham and Eggs is only for the EPH series. The older LPH require a resistor mod or hex edit of the tuning range.

You can go to the BK radio egroup and find the ham and eggs program in the files section. It takes about a 10th of a second to do it. It makes a quick blip and that's all there is. The radio will then work down to 144 Mhz.

BirkenVogt

It's true, any MPH/MQH/LPH series radio that is opened will probably break and never work right again. So enjoy it while it works and then use it for a doorstop.

As for the EPH, the upgrade to 210 channels requires a factory software which very few people have and they are required to charge factory rate for doing the upgrade. Also if you are buying an EPH I would make sure it is narrowband capable and it would be best if it was also narrowband programmable from the front panel. I understand some of them weren't.

For BK service, we use Mike Cherrington in Arizona (Phoenix I think)? He fixes what we can't and he also has the upgrade software.

Birken

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I think thats the company, located in TX, not Calif. but his approach to customer service seems to be up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.