Official BCD996T Post Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Icom IC-2820 Amateur Radio Transceiver with GPS Option

I have been an amateur radio operator for several years now and I became interested in GPS much more recently. It was interested to see that Icom has now announced that it will be selling the Icom IC-2820 Dual Band mobile FM transceiver that with have optional GPS receiver capability.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/2820h/default.asp

D-STAR DV mode + GPS receiver
The optional UT-123 provides D-STAR DV mode operation plus GPS receiver capability. Your location information can be sent simultaneously with the digital voice transmission.

Location information exchange
The IC-2820H sends your location information either when the mic PTT switch is pushed, or at a preset interval (5 seconds–30 minutes). When available from a calling station, the IC-2820H displays the distance and direction to the station.

GPS alarm
The GPS alarm alerts you by beeping when a preprogrammed point is within 500m or 1km range from your location or anyone of preprogrammed points is within a preset square range.

GPS location tracking
When connected to a PC* via the optional RS-232C cable, OPC-1529R, your own or the received location information can be plotted by map software* on a PC.
* Serial port and map software (NMEA 0183) are required.

If this were to become popular, perhaps they could consider adding this to a line of FRS/GMRS/MURS radios. That way non-amateur radio operators could enjoy these features with legal, license-free or easy to obtain licensed radios. I know Garmin has their Rino radios with some type of GPS features.

I mention this here because I know that our Uniden BCD996T units have a GPS option. It will be interesting to see if the GPS data from the Icom could be shared to the BCD996T, or if they are totally incompatible. If that is the case, I envision seeing a ham at a hamfest somewhere in the future that has not only a mobile porcupine with man antennas for transceivers, but also one with several GPS units. Just think, you may have one GPS for automobile navigation, a second for your BCD996T, a third for the Icom IC-2820, etc. Also, as an aside, the GPS units are so small in some cases that perhaps we will see a GPS option for the BCD396, or its successor, sometime in the not too distant future!

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Well, I got my 996 in today. My local P25 system has about 1/2 second of 'data' type noise that happens right before someone starts talking if there hasn't been traffic in awhile. My radioshack scanners never did this. Any way to fix it?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
kc0jar said:
Well, I got my 996 in today. My local P25 system has about 1/2 second of 'data' type noise that happens right before someone starts talking if there hasn't been traffic in awhile. My radioshack scanners never did this. Any way to fix it?

Try this: Setting the Audio Type MECL
For each channel, you can select the audio type that the channel receives.
[MENU] -> Program System ->F
-> Select the system ->F
-> Edit Group
-> Select the channel group ->F
-> Edit Channel ->F
-> Select an existing channel ->F
-> Set Audio Type ->F
Select from All, Digital Only, Analog Only ->F
All — The scanner automatically determines whether the audio is analog or
digital.
Digital Only — The scanner only remains on the channel if it is carrying APCO
25 digital audio
Analog Only — The scanner only remains on the channel if it is carrying analog
audio.
If you are programming a conventional system and select Analog Only, the
scanner prompts you to select the CTCSS/DCS tone setting.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll try that. Why does that make a difference though? Is it just faster decoding if the scanner is already expecting a digital signal to decode?

-Ben

JASII

Memory Capacity
Now that GRE has announced several new models with some additional features, does anybody have any wild speculation on what features we will see on a replacement for the BCD996T? Possibly NAC decoding?

Mooney

scanner_freak said:
Now that the scanner is out, all discuusion can be held here. Thanks!
Can I get instructions on putting freqs in my BCD996T,that are simple,the manual I have is to above my head,scanner is new and I only can turn it on.

scanman9

Format 996t

can somebody please tell me how to format the 996t i have looked in the manual and can not find it. Need to know the procedures.or tell me what page it is on.

thanks

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
GrayWolfSA58 said:
is it worth all the trouble to do the upgrades for the 996t ??

No trouble at all, you download the updater and firmware from Uniden, and install it from your PC. Be sure to research this thread (and others) before you decide if it's best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.