WS1040: Ohio MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
The only frequencies that need entered are the control and alternate control frequencies for the tower. That being said:

To properly scan MARCS-IP requires the creation of a TSYS with the control/alternate control frequencies and then the addition of the talkgroups you want to monitor - the scanner does the rest. Have you done this, or did you just enter the frequencies?

Are you using software to program the scanner, or are you doing it by hand?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
OK, then follow the instructions here:

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

You'll need to create a trunked system ("TSYS") for the MARCS-IP system and the tower you wish to monitor, then you'll need to add the talkgroups for the agencies you want to monitor. All of this is in the database.

If you would rather use software, you'll need a programming cable, software, and a RR subscription. Programming with software is much easier; with a RR subscription, you can download everything from the RR database into the software and then upload it into the scanner. :)

craigakagravy

OK, then follow the instructions here:

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

You'll need to create a trunked system ("TSYS") for the MARCS-IP system and the tower you wish to monitor, then you'll need to add the talkgroups for the agencies you want to monitor. All of this is in the database.

If you would rather use software, you'll need a programming cable, software, and a RR subscription. Programming with software is much easier; with a RR subscription, you can download everything from the RR database into the software and then upload it into the scanner. :)
Thanks! That's an awesome link! Still unsure about selecting a tower. How do u know what one you are using? Or should be?

xusmarine1979

Another thing that comes to mind is if something is interfering. It may still show a full signal, but may not be a clean signal. Either the attenuator or different antenna may help.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Thanks! That's an awesome link! Still unsure about selecting a tower. How do u know what one you are using? Or should be?

Usually, you'll want to select the tower closest to your radio's physical location. Go here for the antenna site list:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643

There's one in Van Wert County and one in Paulding County.

One more thing to note: adding a talkgroup doesn't mean you will be able to hear anyone using it. The radio has to be affiliated with the tower you've chosen for you to hear the radio. The exception would be statewide talkgroups.

kf8yk

The exception would be statewide talkgroups.

There's no exception for statewide talkgroups. The only time a statewide TG (ECOMM, LECOM, XMARCS, etc.) is heard at a site is because at least one radio is affiliated at that site.

The only TG's with a forced affiliation I'm aware of are fire alerting TG's where Unication pagers are in use.

Don't confuse this with site permissions. Statewide TG's are allowed on all sites, but we don't needlessly transmit statewide traffic on sites where no radio user is present. Local agency TG's may be geographically restricted and have affiliation requests denied on sites distant from their jurisdiction.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Statewide TG's are allowed on all sites, but we don't needlessly transmit statewide traffic on sites where no radio user is present. Local agency TG's may be geographically restricted and have affiliation requests denied on sites distant from their jurisdiction.

My mistake. How do the statewide interop groups work? Those were the exceptions I was thinking of.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There's no exception for statewide talkgroups. The only time a statewide TG (ECOMM, LECOM, XMARCS, etc.) is heard at a site is because at least one radio is affiliated at that site.

The only TG's with a forced affiliation I'm aware of are fire alerting TG's where Unication pagers are in use.

Don't confuse this with site permissions. Statewide TG's are allowed on all sites, but we don't needlessly transmit statewide traffic on sites where no radio user is present. Local agency TG's may be geographically restricted and have affiliation requests denied on sites distant from their jurisdiction.

I wondered why the FL of mutual aid frequencies and talk groups was silent last week when I was monitoring the incident where the Fairborn police officer was shot and wounded. Instead, the responding LEOs from several different jurisdictions were popping up on the Fairborn talk groups and communicating directly with Incident Command. I had set aside a number of mutual aid talk groups and freqs that I thought someone would use, but they did not. I guess I am not sure of how Ohio MARCS utilizes mutual aid response coms. If something really big happened, would they then activate those TGs, and if so, who makes that decision?

JD
kf4anc

budevans

My mistake. How do the statewide interop groups work? Those were the exceptions I was thinking of.
Regarding the various Statewide Interops and Mutual Aid TG's, if I remember correctly the first TG in the group is usually a Call In which is monitored and it assigns the requester a TG to use. The Call In dispatcher has list of Interop TG's that each Agency has access to.

I've monitored Interop's from counties all over the State. Example Ashland, Mansfield, Erie, Sandusky and a couple from areas near the Ohio River.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Would you guys happen to know what sites Emergency Helicopters Dispatch are on?

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Would you guys happen to know what sites Emergency Helicopters Dispatch are on?

In the database of MARCS talkgroups towards the top before they start breaking them down by county, there is a list of Medical Transportation TG. Most of the Helos in the state are there. As for what site they are on, that would depend on where they are at in their flight.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643

Status
Not open for further replies.