OKC EMSA new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqscout

Well kind of a new system.
I just got word from a very reliable source which indicates that OKC EMSA will follow suit with the Tulsa EMSA and join the DPS System. It appears that Total Radio Inc. has the contract and will be making installs here in the city.
I do not know what the plan is as far as the installation of multiple TX/RX sites here in OKC but if they want to cover all of the metro area that EMSA does they will probably have to add more and/or incorporate other existing systems.

okccsi

freqscout said:
Well kind of a new system.
I just got word from a very reliable source which indicates that OKC EMSA will follow suit with the Tulsa EMSA and join the DPS System. It appears that Total Radio Inc. has the contract and will be making installs here in the city.
I do not know what the plan is as far as the installation of multiple TX/RX sites here in OKC but if they want to cover all of the metro area that EMSA does they will probably have to add more and/or incorporate other existing systems.

Keep posting punk. You should be here rescuing me from the hell that is currently my house.

OKC CSI

freqscout

Ha ha..yeah I forgot about your home and garden deal being Friday. I had it down as Saturday and Kristin was going to do that while I played radio junkie for Field Day, the largest collection o the nerds that comes ever a year.

Yeah I caught a little bug that planted that EMSA bit in my ear. I do not know if it will be digital or not but I am guessing not (yet) since they are already involved with installs and DPS hasn't gone full digital yet. I can forsee them taking that route though.
That would be a outstanding justification for me to purchase both a 996 and a 396...My wife might kill me before I actualy get to use them though.

OkRob

If they play "keep up" with the Eastern Division (Tulsa) they will be digital and encrypted, so listening to them will not be possible. I think it is highly likely that is the direction they will be going in OKC as well.

- Rob

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I remember when we changed over from the origional VHF system back in '82. What a nightmare going to UHF. Vehicle repeaters didn't work, walkie's didn't either. It was GE back then. I hope the new system goes in better than the old one. Any old Amcare/EMSA folks on the list? I used to be medic 553.

freqscout

I am not surprised about the encryption aspect of going to the DPS system since the requirements of federal law on medical information keeps getting more stringent. They could transfer more information to source hospitals and to their dispatch that way.

I wonder if we will start seeing the APCO showing up on the OHP and other law enforcement here locally now?

car2back

OkRob said:
If they play "keep up" with the Eastern Division (Tulsa) they will be digital and encrypted, so listening to them will not be possible. I think it is highly likely that is the direction they will be going in OKC as well.

- Rob
I imagine the radio system for EMSA-East was a test run.... I bet you're right!

I still keep "Med 5" tucked in a bank somewhere... you never know when you may hear something on it!

BigMacFire

Half the radios are installed already - the new trucks come prepped from the factory with a spot for the head unit. A few medics have already played with the radios and caused all kinds of problems in dispatch.... Ooops.

The mobiles and handhelds have been purchased for some time - They have just been waiting for the infrastructure / OKC coverage to be built up more prior to them going into service. Probably will be a few more months before they come fully online.

I believe the handhelds are going to be XTS 3000's... not sure though. Could they have picked a bigger radio?? The 400 mHz System will remain in place as a backup.

Firecop203

skywatch said:
I remember when we changed over from the origional VHF system back in '82. What a nightmare going to UHF. Vehicle repeaters didn't work, walkie's didn't either. It was GE back then. I hope the new system goes in better than the old one. Any old Amcare/EMSA folks on the list? I used to be medic 553.

I was 462 with Amcare from 79-81.

freqscout

As much as I defend our little EDACS chunk of the world I am going to have to admit that I am glad that the DPS system will be put to greater use. There was too much money spent on it to just handle the few agencies that it does here in the city. Those agencies need greater coverage in OKC....as does my scanner.

Well don't complain too much about those XTS3000 handhelds BigMac..the Astro Sabers can do everything that the DPS system needs and they could resurrect those for you which are the same as those big bastardly handhelds you carry now. That would suck.

I think they did that for NYC. Whoever it was had the XTS5000 retrofitted to an Astro Saber case so that they did not have to buy new chargers and accessories. Again...Suck.

OkRob

I talked to a guy "in the know" today regarding the new EMSA system in OKC. He said the infrastructure to support a digital encrypted system is not ready in OKC and the new system will be analog, not digital encrypted. I think he knows what he's talking about. It is unknown if they will move to digital encrypted in the near future. With the success of it in Tulsa, I would think it would be something that they will continue to pursue at some time.

- Rob

car2back

hmm... maybe someone at EMSA-Tulsa will monitior EMSA-OKC on the Tulsa site and we'll be able to hear them here!

(wishful thinking)

wxchasers

Question:will OKC EMSA dispatch have a TG pretty soon?
Just asking out sheer curiousity.........

Status
Not open for further replies.