OKC EMSA new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqscout

I think that they are going to wait to go live on the 800 side until there are more frequencies and sites here in the OKC area. They are going to acquire the Norman and Edmond system that will give them the access to more frequencies. Then after that it will be up to rebanding to add more. The extra frequencies are needed because there are only five active channels and about six very regularly accessed TG's on the system causing an overload (ie: busy signal). Once that is resolved you will probably start seeing the EMSA activity and we will be able to identify the TG....that is unless someone aleady knows them all.

BigMacFire

FYI -

800 mHz radio installation is complete in all ambulances, old (orange/white) and new (red, white, blue). Installation is complete in dispatch - as we (the field medics) have already caused grief and agrivation by "seeing if the emergency button worked" -- IT DOES!

Anyways -
as far as I know - the portables have already been purchased, and been here for about a year, as freq scout said - all that lack is the infrastructure. They are either XTS 3500, or 5000's -- I know the 3500 has apparently been d/c -- but like I said, the radios have been in the possession of EMSA for some time...

All the banks, channels, freqs are already programmed in the mobiles. The radios have both OKC and TUL freqs ( to include all hospitals, police, and fire for both metro areas).

I'll try and give more info as I find out --- also trying to practice a little OPSEC... but much of this info is already public knowledge.

freqscout

Hey BigMac..Is there a separate talkgroup for each of the hospitals? If not, do you have a method for directly calling the hospitals (on the radio) or are they all grouped together like before?
Any idea what they will do with the old equipment?
You can PM me if necessary.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Encryption

Can we assume that when EMSA West moves to the DPS system that they will be encrypted like Tulsa is?

A funny thing about that encryption ... when passing through Tulsa the other week, I could *swear* I could tell when when it was a male talking on the EMSA channels versus a female, even though it's encrypted. It's like there is a semi-intelligible burst right at the beginning of a transmission.

mam1081

Feed Provider
I don't usually save the affiliation file, but I'll watch it a little closer tonight and post my findings. I'm only monitoring the OKC site - so I don't know if your radio affiliating on another site will pass through over here (although I would think it would, since its "home site" is OKC site #26).

Oh, and radio IDs only have 7's in the front on Moto radios or on some scanners. The actual radio ID number for that should be 33177.

cop_pmed

freqscout said:
Is there a separate talkgroup for each of the hospitals? If not, do you have a method for directly calling the hospitals (on the radio) or are they all grouped together like before?
Any idea what they will do with the old equipment?
You can PM me if necessary.

Even though there is a team meeting in November to instruct the EMSA-West medics on the "new 800 mhz radio system" I'm sure that the medics will continue to use the cell phones because the nurses at the e.r.s do not know how to work the radios nor do they want to. Try calling in a report on the Med channels to a local er and if you can actually get some one to respond, just wait to you arrive and get ready for a tongue lashing!!!!

BigMacFire

Portable 800 mHz radios will begin to be issued to management and supervisory staff at the beginning of the November. Field crews will be issued radios at the end of November- beginning of December.

The radios in question will be XTS 5000's. The Supervisors and Management will have fully featured radios with keypads, and the field crews will have limited keypads.

More as it comes in....

freqscout

They are...especially when pmed comes booming through...saw it once...it was great. There was only one nurse that even knew how to take report over the radio and everyone else just looked at it and was like, "wtf do we do with that talking box????".

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmm, we only use 155.340 for our EMS to Hospital from our 4 city EMS units. I wonder how were suppose to give pt reports on the long runs to OKC now with the new 800 system? No we don't use cellphones :)

Jim
Great Plains Regional

cop_pmed

freqscout said:
They are...especially when pmed comes booming through...saw it once...it was great. There was only one nurse that even knew how to take report over the radio and everyone else just looked at it and was like, "wtf do we do with that talking box????".
That couldnt have been me was it freqscout??
Skywatch, how are they giving reports now? I know that the OKC er's dont listen to 155.340 aka HEAR channel let alone the med channels. When I'm doing trip to OKC from out west here I just go on in. I figure they usually know I'm coming by the sending hospital report. If there is any major pt change I might try to contact via cell Back when I started in Elk City w/Sinor (1990-1997) I used to try then too on .340 but no one ever answered. I did get EMSA dispatch to respond 1 time but that was it.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Right now all we use is the 155.340. We have a UHF radio setup in the ER but it hasn't been used in over 10 years. I believe they also have Mutual aid in their wa lkies. When I drove I used to always call El Reno and have them forward the details to OKC and get clearance via teletype.

So, you worked for Tim too? Sorry for you.. I was his manager in Clinton for 11 years before I got away. I couldn't take all the money, about $1.05 an hour, no vacations etc.:roll:

Jim

freqscout

Oh yeah pmed it was definately you...and old Karen at Deaconess answered ya. You were teaching a rookie how to do it.

I know that Deaconess ER also has an old red and white desk radio that looks like an old telephone. I believe it is parked on the HEAR frequency. Again though, fat chance of anyone actually listening to it...let alone responding to your call.

cop_pmed

skywatch said:
all we use is the 155.340. UHF radio hasn't been used in over 10 years.
Jim

I was the field medic, in Elk City, that initiated the change from uhf encode to vhf. I explained to many hospital people the benefits by us being able to encode from the scene using our "vhf" radios. Of course initially no one knew the difference of uhf/vhf except on tv. It used to drive me crazy to have to be in the ambulance or run to it to do a encode. Same with EMSA, many a time especially on trauma alerts and full arrests I'll encode from pt side. There is usually plenty if hands in the pot to allow me a moment to do it. Then I keep with pt care during transport.

P

PolarBear25

skywatch said:
Hmm, we only use 155.340 for our EMS to Hospital from our 4 city EMS units. I wonder how were suppose to give pt reports on the long runs to OKC now with the new 800 system? No we don't use cellphones :)

Jim
Great Plains Regional

Will you be on the State's Moto SmartZone 800 Mhz T.R.S.??

Status
Not open for further replies.