Oklahoma SWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMikeLima

This maybe just me but I can never get any stations at all here in the OKC area. I'm using a Sony ICF-SW7600GR reciever with its stock antenna. Could the antenna be the reason? I tune to the frequencies at their UTC time and hear nothing. Any advice? Thanks.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
1. Make sure that if you have a "DX/Local" switch, you have it in DX.
2. Certain times of the day work with certain freq bands. Generally, the 9 Mhz band works well day and night, with the higher freqs, (11, 15, 17, 19, 21) during the day and below 9 Mhz at night.
3. If you can string up a simple longwire or center-fed dipole antenna, it will make a world of difference. If the radio doesn't have an external antenna jack, just clip the wire to the antenna with an alligator clip.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another thing is that most broadcasters do not specifically beam to the central US - most of the time, they're beaming toward the East or West Coast. Therefore, you are at the mercy of mother nature, and HF propagation - something that, if you want to get good at this game, you need to understand the basics. Our wiki article on the subject has a good link - at the AE4RV website - that will get you started...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HF_Propagation

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.