Old Pro-95 user

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrandyw

The other day I decided to pick up my scanner and start playing with it again. It's been a long time since I've used it. I used to scan a lot with an old 10 channel scanner from Radio-Shack, and then bought a Pro-95 a few years ago. I ended up not using it much (life got busy), but now I'm playing with it again. I'm loving it. Anyway, I live in Williamson county, and thank goodness, it seems that they haven't decided to switch to digital yet. Can anyone tell me what the plan is there? I've seen some people saying it already happened (google searches), but its obvious from the amount of traffic I'm getting that they are still analog.

Also, I'm using the antenna that came with my Pro-95, is that an ok antenna, or is there a better replacement for it? I'm looking for something that is mobile.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
jrandyw said:
The other day I decided to pick up my scanner and start playing with it again. It's been a long time since I've used it. I used to scan a lot with an old 10 channel scanner from Radio-Shack, and then bought a Pro-95 a few years ago. I ended up not using it much (life got busy), but now I'm playing with it again. I'm loving it. Anyway, I live in Williamson county, and thank goodness, it seems that they haven't decided to switch to digital yet. Can anyone tell me what the plan is there? I've seen some people saying it already happened (google searches), but its obvious from the amount of traffic I'm getting that they are still analog.

Also, I'm using the antenna that came with my Pro-95, is that an ok antenna, or is there a better replacement for it? I'm looking for something that is mobile.
Williamson County's system is analog for now, but see the link. There's a news entry posted that it may transition toward P25 (digital) in the next few months.

That's an 800Mhz system. For better reception on your handheld, it's hard to beat the Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna as far as bang for the buck. Improves the 800 trunked systems noticeably, without losing too much on Uhf. You do lose some on Vhf-high. I don't have any low band worth monitoring in my area, but doubt it would hear much on those frequencies. If there's a Radio Shack in your area that's closing, that still has stock, you'll find this at an even better price. Use the store locator on their website to check to locations flagged as closing.

rpowley

You might consider getting a 800 mhz antenna - As far as going digital, there are always rumors. DPS is in the middle of going digital.

jrandyw

Thanks for the advice on the antenna. I'll have to make a stop on the way home today. Hopefully Williamson won't switch until prices start to come down a bit on the digital scanners. If I were to get a Pro-96, is it likely to last me a long time? Is the P25 (??) system a well established thing that should be around for a while now, or is it likely that another change will happen in the next 5 years?

rpowley

P25 will be around for a while, but who knows what will happen in the next 5 years. The current sale price on the PRO-96 is about as low as it gets, at least to date.

jrandyw

Hiegtx...

Thanks so much for the heads up about the store closing specials. Got an 800Mhz antenna and a USB scanner cable for $16. If only they had been selling a Pro-96 at half price. :)

Thanks again.

VintageJon

Indeed, Welcome Back!

I hear a few things on the APCO-25 band from Williamson county, but mainly monitor Travis on the Pro96.

Have not looked for Williamson on the Pro91, which is my non-digital listening device.
Use it mainly for DPS and Air.

73's
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.