Old school EAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Phil Alexander recalls: Radios of the late 50's and early 60's had the "CD" triangle in a circle emblem at 640 and 1240, and late one night I spent 2 or 3 hours turning a DA station on 1550 into a non DA on 1240 because about 9 PM EST one Saturday night in October '62, the White House seized all the wires and sent a message that all ConelraD authorized stations should be prepared to begin ConelraD operations at, or at any time after, 10 AM the following morning. I tested on 1240 during the experimental period, marked all the strap points and adjustments, put the station back on 1550, left a note for the morning guy to call me if an alert came through and went home (5 minutes away) and went to bed about 3 AM. The sun came up, the Russian ships on the way to Cuba turned around, and the 1240 crystal was never used again."

Broadcast History

talkpair

I still remember the February 20, 1971 false alarm...........The message broke into Saturday morning cartoons !

It was shortly after 8:30 a.m. in Kansas City.

This was an era when there was only one TV set in most households, and it was in the living room.
Soooo the entire family heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.