Ontario Investing $765 Million to Build New Public Safety Radio Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

What is the high and low end of this band? I've never searched it out before.

Start with 768.0 to 776.0 MHz at 6.25 kHz steps, the input is +30 MHz, that's the currently active block. This is from the original planning of the band with the removal of the upper UHF television channels 10 years ago:

My guess that the new system will operate there is speculative but based on some documentation I've seen in the last couple of years including a Bell Mobility Radio license in that range. That may have been just for in-house testing as it was limited to one location at the time. Any time a Government makes a public announcement on something of this scale you have to know that the technical details are already in place, spectrum allotment being a major piece.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I suspect it will still be VHF.

The DVRS units are 700Mhz for sure. I've heard replacement radios in MOC vehicles are getting the new DVRS install and I suspect MOH units in Zone 4 probably have them as well.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
That and it's easier to maintain a fleet using same radios. One less separate format to save. Key all and be done with it.

Main issue is one can get the information from Fire, Dog Catcher or Public Works if Police need assistance at x call. PD calls Public Works then their dispatcher throws it over their channel in clear and gives the details. Problem solved by encrypting all.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget Twitter. That's where your gonna get your information dissemination from. It's already happening as it is.

That and it's easier to maintain a fleet using same radios. One less separate format to save. Key all and be done with it.

Main issue is one can get the information from Fire, Dog Catcher or Public Works if Police need assistance at x call. PD calls Public Works then their dispatcher throws it over their channel in clear and gives the details. Problem solved by encrypting all.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Will have to keep that band in mind.

My next question is. What about BEAT Repeaters and mobile repeaters? Will they go bye bye too?

Start with 768.0 to 776.0 MHz at 6.25 kHz steps, the input is +30 MHz, that's the currently active block. This is from the original planning of the band with the removal of the upper UHF television channels 10 years ago:

My guess that the new system will operate there is speculative but based on some documentation I've seen in the last couple of years including a Bell Mobility Radio license in that range. That may have been just for in-house testing as it was limited to one location at the time. Any time a Government makes a public announcement on something of this scale you have to know that the technical details are already in place, spectrum allotment being a major piece.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks. Will have to keep that band in mind.

My next question is. What about BEAT Repeaters and mobile repeaters? Will they go bye bye too?

Depends on the replacements systems coverage.
If it stays the same, the BEAT repeaters will likely be converted to P25.

Futurecom makes a DVRS system that is 100% transparent to the users. The radios(APX portables) act the same and their RID is passed through the DVRS, Including being transparent to encryption as well.

I would suspect the days of analogue BEAT repeaters will go away with the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.