OP25 OP25 Windows 10 Basic Setup Guide

CanesFan95

The goal is to create a setup guide with complete exact steps to get OP25 working in Windows. This is a first draft (attached) to be revised based on input from:
  • Current OP25 users
  • Those who've never used OP25
  • OP25 developers, contributors, and other experts.
After revisions, the draft can be finalized and later updated for future versions.

Attachments

• DRAFT #1 OP25 Windows 10 Basic Setup Guide July 3, 2022.zip
    2 MB · Views: 602

noamlivne

The goal is to create a setup guide with complete exact steps to get OP25 working in Windows. This is a first draft (attached) to be revised based on input from:
  • Current OP25 users
  • Those who've never used OP25
  • OP25 developers, contributors, and other experts.
After revisions, the draft can be finalized and later updated for future versions.
Thank you very much for preparing this.
Please stress that it is OP25 working in a Virtual Machine on Windows, but not natively in Windows.

CanesFan95

Understood. Hearing no other comments, I've changed the title and removed the draft watermark. This will be the final version (attached here) until future updates. Thanks.

Attachments

• OP25 Windows 10 Virtual Machine Setup Guide July 10, 2022.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 494

a417

What if the VM Host isn't VMWare? What if it's VirtualBox?

Ditch the PDF as @NebraskaCoder suggested, and make it a wiki. This way if someone decides to pick up where you left off and offer VM setup support for another host - they can add/edit.

CanesFan95

Understood, let me see when I have more time later to give that a shot. I am unfamiliar with creating Wiki pages and will need a little to read up on it.

a417

I would recommend on concentrating on setting up OP25 within an established Linux VM.

A running linux VM is a running linux VM, the environment is the same. Getting there can very wildly depending on the host hardware & software at play. If you are not going to include all the potential solutions, you could be doing the reader a disservice. You planning on covering bhyve, BSD jails or qemu? I don't think so, but if you concentrate on the installation after the user has done due dilligence and has a running linux VM/instance, you can save your self the trouble.

now I will say that if someone is running FreeBSD, and wishes to also run OP25, I would suspect that they would be able to implement it on their own. The baseline computer aptitude that is present in people who run alternative operating systems would make a hand-holding document like yours a bit reduntant, so you might not even find people like that utilizing your help. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but maybe you should look at the big-options for the greatest number of mainstream users.

There are thousands of writeups for windows 10/11 (as well as win xp, vista, 7,8...) for getting a linux VM up and running, why repeat the work?

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Understood. Hearing no other comments, I've changed the title and removed the draft watermark. This will be the final version (attached here) until future updates. Thanks.
I'm going to take a look at this when I get some time. Thanks for taking the time and effort. Often newbies, and people who only use computers as a tool are often overlooked. A step by step plan sometimes encourages people who would not generally bother as well.

CanesFan95

Yes, I agree there's numerous VM softwares and we can't write up all of 'em. VMWare was just one example, so I believe we may well keep it since it's already written up. As a newcomer myself, I honeslty wanted to write up a step-by-step guide to help avoid people running into snags. For example, these instructions omit the following commands that you need to make it work:

sudo apt install build-essential
cat gr3.8.patch | patch -p1

But I'm on board with the Wiki idea. So here goes. I'm signed in to Wiki and it's saying it can be months before a new article goes online:

1657756148733.png

Is there a better way to do this?

CanesFan95

Copy that. When I go to this one, there's a section titled "Software Based Decoders" that has a blip about OP25 with some old info. I'd like to make the first time the text "OP25" into a clickable hyperlink that will point to a new page where I can write this up. But I'm unsure how to create that new page first.

CanesFan95

I might need to make a correction. I'm attempting to update the Osmocom version with this:

cd op25
git pull
./rebuild.sh

but am getting an error and it doesn't seem to work:

1658011827367.png

It works for Boatbod, but not Osmocom. What's the right way to update? Thanks in advance.

a417

Copy that. When I go to this one, there's a section titled "Software Based Decoders" that has a blip about OP25 with some old info. I'd like to make the first time the text "OP25" into a clickable hyperlink that will point to a new page where I can write this up. But I'm unsure how to create that new page first.

Maybe you should brush up on the wiki stuff before you do this?

It would be advisable to search a couple of different names in the wiki, prior to creating something that might already exist elsewhere. This also allows you to see what other contributors might have started.

As for editing a page, you click on Actions then Edit and that page pops up.

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
It works for Boatbod, but not Osmocom. What's the right way to update? Thanks in advance.

Have to hear form Max to be for sure, but going to go out on a limb here. If the update only affects the Python scripts, running git pull should suffice, since Python is interpretive and doesn't require anything to be rebuilt. If you are going to do a rebuild afterwards, then probably, just judging the the install script, this portion should suffice I believe. I added the git pull to the beginning of it and omitted mkdir build since its already made and we don't need to remake it, it would just throw an error anyways.

Code:
git pull
cd build
cmake ../
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

Its literally the same procedure I use for DSD-FME to allow the user to git pull and rebuild everything and install it.

Edit: it shouldn't honestly hurt to make a rebuild.sh script for Osmocom OP25 with the included lines above. If you attempt to run make or make install again, and nothing needs to be rebuild, then the make procedure is smart enough to realize that and will just shuffle through it quickly and running make install again will have no ill effect, its just copying the current binaries to the same place they were before.

CanesFan95

Maybe you should brush up on the wiki stuff before you do this?

It would be advisable to search a couple of different names in the wiki, prior to creating something that might already exist elsewhere. This also allows you to see what other contributors might have started.

As for editing a page, you click on Actions then Edit and that page pops up.

Understood, I've created a new page OP25 - The RadioReference Wiki and will work on it. But it doesn't seem to let us insert images.

Last edited:
Can you just link the github and use the wiki as the guide? Instead of having to download a pdf to have us go download another zip?

KJ4DHF

Well my brain was not built to understand Linux. Trying to follow the OP post for building Osmocom OP25 and get hung here.
stuck.JPG