• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Open for input on what these antennas are doing

phask

Premium Subscriber
This is why the "IT crowd" need to stick to imaging disks, connecting up HDMI cables, and configuring WAPs.
This is typical Richard Cranium engineering at it's finest.
Like handing over the controls of an Airbus A-320 to a baggage handler.
That does not work when the "Boss" tells the one and only IT person to just do it. (or walk)

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
‘engineers’ need to keep away from their vehicles. I saw some real doozies where an ‘engineer’ repaired something.
Like this, it wasn’t pretty, might not last, but it worked.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
That does not work when the "Boss" tells the one and only IT person to just do it. (or walk)
One could then report them to OSHA for an unsafe work environment and AHJ for every building code/life safety code violation. Go ahead, order an employee to something dangerous and illegal. Get it in writing. Document it thoroughly.

It's all good, until it isn't.

Moron managers usually find themselves the one walking out the door at that point. This is not a game. If one doesn't understand that, one is in the wrong line of work. If baggage handlers are allowed to fly airplanes, we'll have planes falling from the sky and twisted wreckage everywhere.
There is a reason why only qualified persons should be doing such installs, with the right tools, training, experience and insurance.

wtp

weight of 1 cinderblock is 37 pounds
so the weight comes up to 1110 pounds.
the area is about 7 by 12, so 84 square feet or 13 1/4 pounds per square foot.
and the only thing i was going to post was that with cinderblocks it is a temporary thing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
weight of 1 cinderblock is 37 pounds
so the weight comes up to 1110 pounds.
the area is about 7 by 12, so 84 square feet or 13 1/4 pounds per square foot.

Yeah, that's not excessive. Those roof sleds are designed to hold those blocks and spread the weight out. We've used those at work in the past for installations where any modification to the roof was off the table. It does look like there is an extra layer of roof membrane under it, so it doesn't look too concerning.

Considering the average weight of a ham radio operator would easily fit within a square foot or two, I don't think there's a roof loading issue.

Look like UHF Yagis, but not 100% sure. The panel antennas look like 900MHz antennas we've used before for data links. It does appear there's a diplexer or something on the coax. Does appear that it's a single coax feeding the Yagi and the panel antenna. Looks like a larger coax, as in not RG-6. The seemingly random aiming of all the antennas makes me wonder.

I've seen local Wireless Internet Providers do some absolutely sketchy stuff like this in the past. I've also seen some of the 900MHz Helium miner providers do similar installs. They'll pay someone a few bucks a month for roof access, then absolutely go to town with dumpy looking installations. Focus is making money, not making people on Radio Reference jealous.

Would love to know who/what this is.

and the only thing i was going to post was that with cinderblocks it is a temporary thing.

"There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution".

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that's not excessive. Those roof sleds are designed to hold those blocks and spread the weight out. We've used those at work in the past for installations where any modification to the roof was off the table. It does look like there is an extra layer of roof membrane under it, so it doesn't look too concerning.

Considering the average weight of a ham radio operator would easily fit within a square foot or two, I don't think there's a roof loading issue.

Look like UHF Yagis, but not 100% sure. The panel antennas look like 900MHz antennas we've used before for data links. It does appear there's a diplexer or something on the coax. Does appear that it's a single coax feeding the Yagi and the panel antenna. Looks like a larger coax, as in not RG-6. The seemingly random aiming of all the antennas makes me wonder.

I've seen local Wireless Internet Providers do some absolutely sketchy stuff like this in the past. I've also seen some of the 900MHz Helium miner providers do similar installs. They'll pay someone a few bucks a month for roof access, then absolutely go to town with dumpy looking installations. Focus is making money, not making people on Radio Reference jealous.

Would love to know who/what this is.

"There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution".
It's probably one of those 3rd worldsor banana republic-type country's . Maybe several offices and every one has their own yagi.

prcguy

Unfortunately the "IT Crowd" doesn't have this feat of enginerring wizardy cornered. It's pretty common on consumer TV satellite dish installs as well although I haven't seen it on this scale though. Heck, almost 1000lbs of cement blocks in an area little larger than a sheet of plywood on a roof is just genius! (note sarcasm at play)
Unfortunately the "IT Crowd" doesn't have this feat of enginerring wizardy cornered. It's pretty common on consumer TV satellite dish installs as well although I haven't seen it on this scale though. Heck, almost 1000lbs of cement blocks in an area little larger than a sheet of plywood on a roof is just genius! (note sarcasm at play)
At a maximum of 30lbs per cinder block I also see about 1,000lbs for the setup. However, part of the building code in my area says you can expect a flat commercial roof to hold at least 300lbs within a 2.5 X 2.5 square based on roof mounted HVAC and maintenance worker needs. The antenna setup looks to be about 6ft X 9ft so you might expect that to hold at least 2,592lbs.

I've done a lot of large satellite dish installs on roofs and all large projects were calculated by a PE and some make the picture above look really small, so some commercial roofs are designed to withstand a lot of weight.

bharvey2

At a maximum of 30lbs per cinder block I also see about 1,000lbs for the setup. However, part of the building code in my area says you can expect a flat commercial roof to hold at least 300lbs within a 2.5 X 2.5 square based on roof mounted HVAC and maintenance worker needs. The antenna setup looks to be about 6ft X 9ft so you might expect that to hold at least 2,592lbs.

I've done a lot of large satellite dish installs on roofs and all large projects were calculated by a PE and some make the picture above look really small, so some commercial roofs are designed to withstand a lot of weight.

Current code isn't a reflection of past work. I've been on a number of roofs of older buildings that were pretty "live" with just my weight. ( Still fairly south of 200lbs) If this was done over a load bearing column (as Ubbe posited) then things might be okay. Given the rest of if the installation, I wouldn't put much confidence in that having been done nor can I envision a stuctural engineering signing off on something like this as a permanent solution. I've seen a lot of dumb decisions get stacked up in one place over the years that eventually result in failure of some sort.