Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Traveling through Orange yesterday, I was coming south from Wilbur Cross Pkwy, RT-15, I had CLMRN four bars, Troop I simulcast. I got to the community center on Orange Center Rd and it was gone! Further south, closer to Rt-1 I got it back. Pretty crazy! I thought the community center was on a ridge and would get great coverage.
Just wondering if any of you out there are Orange residents and have observed this too.
This was using my BCD325P2. I wonder if my SDS100 would have still gotten a signal?
Beautiful town! I’ll have to go back with the SDS100 and see what happens.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
So the presence of all that activity may have kept the CLMRN signal from being read on my BCD325P2.
I was using a Tram 1199 25-1300 mhz glass mount antenna, maybe an 800 mhz would’ve helped.
Thank you for the reply!

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Thank you 900mhz, you were correct!
I went back to the Orange Community Center with my SDS100 and Rem-820S. I had the CLMRN Troop I simulcast at a steady 5 bars while my BCD325P2 on the Tram 1199 got no bars at all.
I wonder if that is a CLMRN tower?
Thanks again!

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
You actually answered your own question.
1) The community center is high in elevation
2) Your SDS picked it up but your 325P did not.

That is not a CLMRN site, you just experienced the issues of simulcast. The very thing the SDS is designed to scan but the others aren't.
If that OCC site was a CLMRN, you would've received it with no issues.

Reconrider

Still worth looking at though. Just have to make sure you check callsigns when viewing any towers/antennas lol

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
It requires a few steps but there are accurate ways to check yes.
Easiest is to go to mapper.acme.com, and get the lat/long of the tower, then on the RR FCC page here, enter those and search the tower.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't have any specific recommendations since I don't know what type of vehicle you have, what the mounting options are, or what you want to listen to. My experience and that of a friend with about 50 years of RF and electronics experience is that other than on cell phone frequencies glass antennas don't work very well.

What antenna would you recommend?

Reconrider

other than on cell phone frequencies glass antennas don't work very well.

I get this all the time from friends who are getting into scanners/radios and they always ask me why the roof antenna.

I said drive around on one channel and tell me what you get while I sit in your driveway - on a phone call.
He got barely any traffic while I got everything perfectly and he was closer to the antenna site than I was. He was amazed that newer cars block out so much frequency. He bought an external mount antenna a few hours after it.

Other friends of mine still to this day fight me over it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.