Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDickson

Hi everyone! Hope Spring finds you all well. I am trying to dig up some talk groups for Columbia River Correctional Institution or maybe Inverness Jail (MCSO). I have found a MCSO talkgroup called Corrections but never hear anything on it. Searching and searching has yielded nothing. I know people say its boring and all but I am a nerd! I watch all the "jail" shows (Lockup, Lockdown, Jail) and would really love to hear some chatter. I am only about 5-6 miles from Columbia River Correctional Institution and almost around the corner from Inverness. I have a Gre psr800 and a Uniden 396xt with the software and knowledge to load them up. Other than that I am dumb. Any information on any kind of corrections activity I could monitor in the Portland area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Jon

JonDickson

Thanks for the reply! I plugged the three freqs in that are associated with the DOC and left them to scan for awhile with no luck. I am begining to think maybe there is just nothing to listen to. Maybe their radios are not sent through a repeater and just can't get out of all the concrete and steel usually found in a prison?

--Jon

JonDickson

Thanks

Most correctional facility radio systems use handheld radios without a repeater and tend to have just enough power to cover the grounds unless they are part of a large trunked system.

That's what I was starting to think. Thanks for the confirmation. Guess I am gonna throw in the towel and just keep watching the TV shows. Thanks for the input!

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet. You might try searching around through other Marion Co listings, at least for the MCSO side of things. I would imagine being so close to Inverness that you'd at least pick up something from there. For example, Clackamas Co. Jail has a TG on a trunked system, but uses a VHF frequency with pretty good output, too.

JonDickson

Trying

I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet. You might try searching around through other Marion Co listings, at least for the MCSO side of things. I would imagine being so close to Inverness that you'd at least pick up something from there. For example, Clackamas Co. Jail has a TG on a trunked system, but uses a VHF frequency with pretty good output, too.

Yeah, I hear ya. Really would love to hear something. I should have clarified MCSO as Multnomah, not Marion. They do have a TgID for corrections buried in the Portland Public Safety System. I monitor it but never hear anything. Once in awhile I hear some activity on the Court TgID when moving inmates downtown. Guess I will just keep my fingers crossed. I am getting some time to dust off the BCD396xt today and reprogram it for use exclusively in the car.

Quick question on that.....when I am importing from RRDB will I miss anything just adding Simulcast backbone from the Portland Public Safety System? My guess is that the backbone carries everything that the other sites carry? I don't like seeing the scanner wasting time checking the other sites.

--Jon

jeremym70

I have 20112 down for MCSO Court Security and have logged 637 conversations in Trunk88 in the last day or so, and just saw it pop up a few secs ago. On the Jail thing, you could hang around and try to do a close call search, but that might look suspicious :)
On Portland's system most traffic is on site 1 Simulcast, if you are somewhere outside of the range of that and want to listen in then you can listen to the other sites. However the amount of traffic usually passed through those sites are usually pretty limited, talkgroups are only rebroadcast thru an intellirepeater site if a radio is roamed over to that site (usually).

Yeah, I hear ya. Really would love to hear something. I should have clarified MCSO as Multnomah, not Marion. They do have a TgID for corrections buried in the Portland Public Safety System. I monitor it but never hear anything. Once in awhile I hear some activity on the Court TgID when moving inmates downtown. Guess I will just keep my fingers crossed. I am getting some time to dust off the BCD396xt today and reprogram it for use exclusively in the car.

Quick question on that.....when I am importing from RRDB will I miss anything just adding Simulcast backbone from the Portland Public Safety System? My guess is that the backbone carries everything that the other sites carry? I don't like seeing the scanner wasting time checking the other sites.

--Jon

JonDickson

Thanks for the reply! I do hear some stuff from MCSO court security but moinitor alot of groups and often miss alot of their activity. I did just build and install an off-center fed dipole in my attic and will try doing some more searching.

--Jon

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I didn't note the frequency (but it was one already programed into my scanner), but I picked up what definitely sounded like jail talk as I was waiting for the bus outside CRCI.

k7frk

Do a search in the FCC database for Multnomah County licenses and check the VHF and UHF (450-460) licenses. If memory serves me correctly, there is at least one stand alone conventional repeater that is used by the jail. I seem to remember having two frequencies in my scanner for MCSO correctional facilities and have heard traffic on them from time to time when I've been up in the Inverness Jail area. I don't have access to my scanner at the moment, but I'll see if I can find those if I get time. Hope that helps!

Fred

Clarkcomm

MCDC was 460.5500 MHz but that's been a few years ago. I am sure they narrowbanded since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.