Ottawa EMS Tones and Codes

west5alpha

Are Ottawa EMS toned out or just sent to calls by dispatch? I'm not hearing tones on scanner

west5alpha

Ok, it looks like the online feed provider hasn’t included the tone out freq on the online scanner.

Noseybody

Ok, it looks like the online feed provider hasn’t included the tone out freq on the online scanner.
In Sentinel its under Ministry of Health, common channels, provincewide along with Ornge.
I don't usually listen to it. It's very brief info, vehicle number, code, general area then told to switch to________ .
I have been monitoring this morning for a while on an older scanner, and all I have heard so far was a test page.

west5alpha

Sounds good, yeah go ahead and add tone out.
Is it on the Rdio app or the Broadcastify app?

VA3JPX

Sounds good, yeah go ahead and add tone out.
Is it on the Rdio app or the Broadcastify app?
Broadcastify. However keep in mind, the scanner hops between analog and trunk tracking, so the tone pages are likely to get missed... often... especially during busy radio traffic on OPP/EMS

32dave

Premium Subscriber

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Interesting list of codes. I believe his request is regarding that of the Channel names in Ottawa, referring to Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. There is a brief description in the website provided further on of what the Alpha channels entails, then they switch to Bravo, or Charlie for call details (although no description of these channels given). I also couldn't find a description for Delta although by the looks of it, it may be the MCI/Special Events channel. Here is the website I refer to Paramedic Communications Officers which includes a great overview of Ottawa Paramedics communications. This website also gave me a bit of an answer to one of my questions in another thread concerning the CACC - regional channel and Prescott-Russell and SDG.

There was a discussion on the channel names, I searched for it, but could not find it.

VA3JPX

What does their Alpha , Bravo , Charlie , Delta mean ?

Dispatch uses 4 channels in Ottawa. Each channel has its own dispatcher. The 4 channels are Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta. They call them "VR's".

For example 4145 you cave a code 4 at 24 Sussex for trouble breathing. Details on Charlie VR3. So basically, when not assigned to a call, paramedics and PRU's will sit on Alpha until they get a call, then switch to the other channel that the dispatcher advises them to.

Jradioptbo

I believe the Vehicle Repeater VR channels are designated to the affiliated talkgroup to prevent cross traffic repeating on a repeater of another EMS unit nearby for a totally different reason or call.

The dispatch will assign the call with the affiliated VR. So, when EMS uses their portables, they won't bounce off of a Talkgroup of another mobile repeater.

Because of the density of the City and the number of units in close proximity with in zones, it warrants this radio traffic control.

VA2XDJ

Most of the tone outs on 149.440 are usually vehicle repositions from what I've heard.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
All the remote bases in my area use 149.440MHz for callouts and repositioning.

Last edited by a moderator: