outside coax pl259 to antenna connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

hi. i didn't tape seal the connection from the coax to a 2 meter antenna and it is exposed to the elements. is the connection strong enough to keep water out? in general. there does not seem to be any transmission issues or receiving issues.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you may get water in there and if that happens then you will have issues. if its not to difficult to get to i would use coax seal and cover that with scotch 33 electrical tape, then you should be fine.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
PL-259/SO-239/UHF connectors are not waterproof. Any water getting in there will cause corrosion, and if the water gets down inside the coax, the copper will corrode and make a mess.
I'd recommend taking it apart while the weather is dry, make sure it's clean and dry, reassemble and seal it up.

majoco

Stirrer
I have a PL259/SO239 on my discone - no tape or anything on it - but it is enclosed in a little 'umbrella' made from a pill bottle. Any rain will just run off the outside. Very dry on my post-winter maintenance - and the spiders love it!

Delivers1234

So if water enters the coax, will I know based on getting no signal etc? I've had them up for over 2 years about.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So if water enters the coax, will I know based on getting no signal etc? I've had them up for over 2 years about.

Static, crackly reception, no reception.
The copper will corrode and makes for a real mess. The copper oxides will conduct electricity and act like a short circuit if transmitting, and when receiving will lead to poor performance, noise, etc.

So, not only creates some performance issues, but will also destroy the cable and even the connector on the antenna.

It's much cheaper to invest in coax sealing than spinning the wheel of corrosion and end up having to replace your antenna and cable.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I just did an antenna tear down and rebuild. Sealed all the new connections with the black super 33 tape, then the blue Nashua stretchy tape, then more black tape.

paulears

You can get PL259s with proper cable glands, like N types, but the thread is big and an easy way to get water in, so the advice to tape, and re-tape with leccy tape and self-amalgamating tape is critical. Water will get in unless you do it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
so coax seal and what else? what kind of tape? electrical over coax seal?

Here's the procedure used in the two way radio/cellular industry:

Make sure connectors are clean/dry.
Install connector and torque to manufacturer specifications (or get it tight, but no need for white knuckles).
Using high quality electrical tape (no Harbor Freight crap), start wrapping UP the coax towards the antenna from about 6" below the connector. Overlap each wrap by 50%. When you get to the base of the antenna and have covered the connector, reverse direction and wrap back down to where you started. (Note: Some like to do the tape -adhesive side OUT-, yes, with the adhesive on the outside so it keeps the adhesive off the connector. Your choice if you want to do this…).

Next, start just above the tape layer with the self amalgamating rubber/butyl tape. Work up to the antenna base, covering the connector. Overlap each layer by a bit. When done, use your fingers to work all the tape joints so they are smooth.

Next, follow up with the electrical tape again, starting just below the butyl tape layer, working your way up to the antenna, and back down with 50% overlap.

Sounds like a lot of work? Yes, it is, but I've taken apart 30 year old connections that were sealed like that, and the connectors were still bright and shiny like the day they were made.
Some might consider it 'overkill', but it works.

Be aware that some antennas have moisture "weep" holes in the base. This is to let any moisture that condenses inside the antenna out. Make sure you don't cover up those weep holes if your antenna has them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
so coax seal then scotch 33 electrical tape over that? youtube said electrical tape first then coax seal.

Right, the layer of tape first protects the connector from the butyl rubber tape. That $*@! is really messy and will make it difficult to disassemble the connector if you need to change something. The layer of tape keeps the connector clean. Just slice the whole thing off with a razor blade and it'll still be useable.

Delivers1234

one more thing, if i tx and the reception is clear woudl that indicate that there is no damage in the wires(likely)? or when i take the connection apart, will I notice if there is an issue ie damage from water?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
one more thing, if i tx and the reception is clear woudl that indicate that there is no damage in the wires(likely)? or when i take the connection apart, will I notice if there is an issue ie damage from water?

It could, or it just means the damage hasn't happened yet.

You may open the connector and see mineral deposits, discoloration, or green fuzz. If you see the green stuff, that's corroding copper.

merlin

How man deadly/dangerous types do you have there? When I lived in Oz, they just talked about the locals. (Apologies for the drift.)
They prefer my elbow where the feeds enter the building then find their way to the window sill.
Nothing dangerous, wolfies and jumpers mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.