P-25 and digital repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

station32

Does anyone in the central jersey area use digital repeaters for operations instead of digital trs's. It would be interesting listening how it sounds compared to a trs. Also interested if some agencies are using digital repeaters as an alternative of going to a trs.
Thanks in advance

station32

ok i know a digital trs uses digital repeaters i am just interested in who uses a digital repeater instead of a trs.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Cranford PD
Lakewood PD
Point Pleasant Beach PD (encrypted)
Brick PD (encrypted)
Toms River PD (encrypted)
Little Egg Harbor PD
Berkeley PD
North Brunswick PD
Atlantic Highlands PD (VSELP)
Parsippany-Troy Hills PD
Lincoln Park PD
Montville PD
Sussex County Sheriff

I might be missing one or two, but there's enough to get you started! :D

vinzep491

If I'm reading correctly, he is asking who used P25 without a trunked sysytem.
I believe all of LAPD's channels are setup this way.
To the user of the radio it all sounds and functions the same, but for the scanner listener it can get annoying depending on how the system is set up.
You miss out on the benefit of having a conversation carried across multiple towers, thus a greater range. You are limpited to the range of the single P25 tower.
LAP has that issue - their system works fine for them in their precinct, but as the scanner listener moves thruout the county reception drops significatly as you move from one district to another. You tend to only hear what you are local to, rather than hearing events from the other side of the county being relayed thru the TRS.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Maybe North Brunswick if you are lucky, but as said above - they are all the same Quantar repeaters that make up the core of the TX/RX package. They will sound exactly the same...

robbinsj2

I have picked up Lakewood PD's F-2 from the Mercer County area when the conditions are right (or wrong?). Listen for interference on West Windsor's 453.325. I usually have a tough time with North Brunswick from the Plainsboro area so I don't know if they'll make it down to Ewing.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The Lakewood PD P25 machine is monster all the way down here in Medford. Perfect reception with a dualbander ham antenna on the roof.

jaymatt1978

Don't forget most federal repeaters in NJ are now digital. While we're on the topic of digital, when Sandy Hook was analog on 169.4000 I got them with ease on my 996 and even my 15. Ever since the went digital I haven't heard a peep. I went down there with a 396 and heard them fine. Did the signal just get the much weaker??

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Cranford Central's P25 police repeater is pretty interesting too. The system is set up in such a way where they can connect the police repeater into any of the other services to simulcast any transmission. One example which is done regularly is when Central dispatches the First Aid Squad. Most dispatchers will tone out the squad, then simulcast the message on FAS in analog and PD1 in digital. That's why you'll hear "Cranford Central attention radio cars ##, ##, and First Aid Squad members." Not sure exactly how it works, but it's pretty cool.

Also Summit has a P25 Quantar repeater, but it hasn't been put on the air other than one test. It's supposed to be activated when they take over New Providence and Berkeley Heights dispatch, but that seems to have stalled. No clue why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.