P25 II & more hardware in 2024

Skullp

Hello everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹ ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm looking to hear your opinion on the following concern/ question:

I am looking for a quality trunking scanner with p25 phase 2 and other digital capabilities, we all know the best are like sds100 and other similar ones, BUT!

They have been released sooo many years ago! ๐Ÿ˜”

For example , sds100 was released in 2018, the uniden bcd325p2 was released in 2015, the Bcd436hp was released in 2014 etc etc.

Granted they still work and they update the software (even though the sr30c latest update was 2019 bwe.) but I'm not real excited forking out so much on hardware that's starting to get very old even if it's still functional.

What do you guys recommend that's newer but around the price range ? Should I wait for something that's upcoming?

Thanks in advance and happy radioing ๐Ÿ“ป ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘‹

Skullp

Here is a file with P25 Phase 2 capable scanners:
Thank you very much! It seems like sds100 and sds200 will still be the only choices for now.

I wonder if they are planning on releasing any newer versions, I didn't find anything about it.
I feel for the chip technology part even if they use the same design and features but newer fresher hardware could be about time perhaps, fingers ๐Ÿคž crossed

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Original poster, this is it when it comes to consumer grade scanning radios. The SDS series is exactly what you are asking for, you can get a brand new one manufactured this year. They have an SDR chip that allows them to work very well with simulcast distortion.

With police encryption spreading like wildfire in the country, I don't think you're going to see the R&D and money expenditure, I don't think you're going to see anything else better coming down the line unfortunately.

Skullp

Thank you! Fair enough I understand. It just interesting because at this point it's almost 6 years, there are new generations of the same chips and hardware. It's a new unit assembled this year sure but using old technology, granted it's Functional technology even until today.

with my luck they will announce a new version right after my return period ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.
Thank you for the response!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you! Fair enough I understand. It just interesting because at this point it's almost 6 years, there are new generations of the same chips and hardware. It's a new unit assembled this year sure but using old technology, granted it's Functional technology even until today.

with my luck they will announce a new version right after my return period ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.
Thank you for the response!
It wouldn't be the first time that happened๐Ÿ˜‰

Skullp

๐Ÿ˜ƒ Okay! Let's see if this post ages well or not! I'm getting the SDS100 today Jun/17/2024 I bet you within 60 days or within 2025 a fresh version will be announced. Have a good one everyone ๐Ÿ™Œ

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
One of the few times someone wants to lose a bet ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
I believe you will lose your bet, especially the one that says 60 days but I wouldn't be looking for anything in 2025 either.

What are you betting, how much? I'll take a piece of that action๐Ÿ˜

Enjoy your new radio.

Blackswan73

Todd has announced a new Bluetail P25 III. It will be WiFi updatable, and will be able to stream to another device, like a cell phone. It may also feature a built in lcd display. Still in the development stage right now. Sounds promising though.

B.S.