P25 phase 2 for Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6GQ

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’ve got an older Uniden phase 1 P25 scanner but recently moved to Texas and I think it’s all phase 2 or moving that way. Looking for police/fire/milair in the 76052 zip code. SDS100 and or the larger version are the best option? Suggestions? Thanks.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Others more familiar with that area will chime in but there are many places that are still Phase 1 in and around Tarrant County.
If you have the funds the SDS100 would be the way to go scanner wise.
Unication G4 is another option for P25 Phase 1/2 on 700/800mhz.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’ve got an older Uniden phase 1 P25 scanner but recently moved to Texas and I think it’s all phase 2 or moving that way. Looking for police/fire/milair in the 76052 zip code. SDS100 and or the larger version are the best option? Suggestions? Thanks.
From your location, Tarrant County and Fort Worth itself, are still P25 Phase I. I suspect that they'll eventually change to Phase II, but I have not seen any comments that specify a changeover.

For Haslet, the fire department shows to be conventional Uhf. No PD listing, so they might be either patrolled, or dispatched by the Tarrant County sheriff.

Haslet being on the far north of the county, you might also want to monitor Denton County, which is a Phase II system.

You should be able to hear a good bit of milair. Also see this Wiki page.

I would agree with SixNine. If you can, go with the SDS100. That will deal with simulcast issues. While the Unication pagers (G4 or G5) are excellent performers on simulcast systems, they are not true scanner. You can program more than one site, but only monitor one site at a time.

N6GQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and grabbed a SDS100. Seems like the best choice at this point considering future potential for Phase II.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and grabbed a SDS100. Seems like the best choice at this point considering future potential for Phase II.
I would suggest that you go ahead & install Sentinel. The download link is here, and can be found on this page. The same version of Sentinel is used for the BCDx36HP and SDS series scanners. You'll need it for database updates, as well as any firmware updates that may come along. You can start setting up your Profile and Favorites lists while your scanner is enroute to you.

There is an Easier to Read manual online for the BCDx36HP series as well as Sentinel. Whatever section that is referencing the 536HP applies, with few exceptions, to your SDS100. While certain features of the SDS100 are not available in thex36HP series, basic operation and programming is about identical (90% or higher).
Check these Wiki pages as well:

BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Sentinel User's Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ Page - The RadioReference Wiki

Be sure and look at the links on those pages, and there are also some YouTube videos linked.

Once you install Sentinel, be sure to download the database update, then write that to the scanner. When shipped, the initial database is generally well out of date. Updates to the database are issued on Mondays, usually available by noon. There is no charge for database updates.
The icon for update is highlighted here, or just select that option from the Update drop-down menu.

teknishun

I would suggest that you go ahead & install Sentinel. The download link is here, and can be found on this page. The same version of Sentinel is used for the BCDx36HP and SDS series scanners. You'll need it for database updates, as well as any firmware updates that may come along. You can start setting up your Profile and Favorites lists while your scanner is enroute to you.

Be careful with Sentinel. I believe there are 2 versions of the Sentinel program. The older Sentinel is for
the original Home Patrol scanner of several years ago.

The NEWEST version of Sentinel is updated for the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100 and SDS200.
The two versions are NOT the same! The SDS version is currently v2.02 rev 01. It has a GREEN LOGO on
it's icon. The "other" Sentinel has a different color icon.

Just an FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.