P25 Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,959
Reaction score
15,423
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
Its a commercial tower with various types of regular VHF/UHF 2-way, non cellular antennas. I believe there is an underground water reservoir near the tower. I've hiked up to the tower before.

I couldn't find a registered tower at that location, there is one active tower in Tweksbury owned by T-Mobile at 160 River Road.

Is the tower owned by a home owner?
 

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
Its a commercial tower with various types of regular VHF/UHF 2-way, non cellular antennas. I believe there is an underground water reservoir near the tower. I've hiked up to the tower before.
Well, either it is so short that it doesn't need to be registered. Or it is just illegally at that location.
 

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
Hmmm, well I can't find its registration.

Let me know if you can find it.
 

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
I also found a tower on Bale Pate hill, the top of the tower is 603 feet above sea level.
This MAP is only LOS:
29485802f05e1560a037dce53025138e (1).png

LOS drops off quickly, but keep in mind that map, in particular, doesn't take frequency or power into account. The other one which takes more time does.

Boxford would have good LOS.
 

N5XPM

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
225
Reaction score
99
Location
Texas
Oh, ok.

There is still the problem with handhelds though.
I am puzzled about the problem with VHF handhelds you are referring to. Can you help me understand what the problem is?
 

12dbsinad

Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
2,123
Reaction score
1,470
The approximate -6 to -9dB gain of a helical antenna.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hence that's why you see a lot of public safety on VHF with the 5' long high gain portable antenna's. Tickles your armpits..
 

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
7,854
Reaction score
3,042
Location
Sector 001
Hence that's why you see a lot of public safety on VHF with the 5' long high gain portable antenna's. Tickles your armpits..

Like the Motorola 10” antenna? It’s not for gain, it’s for bandwidth.

Even then it’s like -4.5dB gain. VHF portable antennas suck. Period.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,696
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
Bald Pate Hill in Georgetown has very good coverage, in fact it seems to exceed the projections. There are several UHF trunk sites there, both analog and NXDN. They get good coverage into and south of Boston. Not portable, but certainly mobile.
 

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
Bald Pate Hill in Georgetown has very good coverage, in fact it seems to exceed the projections. There are several UHF trunk sites there, both analog and NXDN. They get good coverage into and south of Boston. Not portable, but certainly mobile.

Ok. Is it an expensive site or is it reasonably priced?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,696
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
I don't know, but I'd guess expensive based on it's footprint. Someone else in the thread might know. My guess is that any good site is going to cost a good amount of money.

Ok. Is it an expensive site or is it reasonably priced?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

radioman2001

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
2,974
Reaction score
200
Location
New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
Well, either it is so short that it doesn't need to be registered. Or it is just illegally at that location.

Has to be over 199 ft to be registered. Even bridges if over that height now have to registered if a radio is licensed on it, but if a radio was licensed on it prior to the new rule it's not necessary. The only time I was asked for tower registrations was on new license applications.
 

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
Quote"
Well, either it is so short that it doesn't need to be registered. Or it is just illegally at that location.

Has to be over 199 ft to be registered. Even bridges if over that height now have to registered if a radio is licensed on it, but if a radio was licensed on it prior to the new rule it's not necessary. The only time I was asked for tower registrations was on new license applications.

Hmm. Ok, I might take a drive up there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

n1das

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
399
Location
Nashua, NH
I recall FCC rules expressly prohibits use of Part 90 Industrial Business (IB) Pool freqs for personal communications. All communications are required to be business related. I'm interested in seeing the eligibility statement on the license application. In addition to saying "Applicant is over 18 years of age and a US citizen," it should say how radios will be used for business related purposes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kjl13

QRT
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
431
Reaction score
41
I recall FCC rules expressly prohibits use of Part 90 Industrial Business (IB) Pool freqs for personal communications. All communications are required to be business related. I'm interested in seeing the eligibility statement on the license application. In addition to saying "Applicant is over 18 years of age and a US citizen," it should say how radios will be used for business related purposes.

I’m not the one licensing it(the frequency coordinator is, but it is completely legal.

Also, that was not the topic.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

n1das

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
399
Location
Nashua, NH
I’m not the one licensing it(the frequency coordinator is, but it is completely legal.

Also, that was not the topic.

OK, got it. Somebody else has the license (and the responsibilities that go with it).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top