P25RX with Windows Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried using the P25RX with a Windows mobile device? I was thinking about getting a Nokia Lumia or Lenovo 503 Windows phone with the hopes of installing JRE and running the config software. That would make a nice interface for the car if I get a USB cable with Y cable. I'd considered a small 8" Windows tablet too. Maybe I can find a way to build a VM out of the Windows Mobile OS and try it that way?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I had plans on doing so but couldn't find a smallish 7-8in windows device that I really liked. The other issue is the lack of USB ports on most of those devices. Since the phone will have to power the p25rx as well you're likely going to need an OTG powered host cable. I actually bought a cable someone here on RR recommend but I can't remember exactly what brand it was. I'll try to dig it out this weekend and confirm with a device if it allows powering and charging while using everything at once.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
For a price under $100 I thought the two I was looking at might be ok. I really want to try running those on a VM now. Off to find an image file.

goldmyne99

Sounds like a cool project. One thing to also consider is how well a java app performs with a touch screen instead of a real mouse/keyboard. I have seen a few java programs not play well with a touch screen. I am looking forward to seeing your project, Good Luck!

goldmyne99

I'd considered a small 8" Windows tablet too.
I ran across a used 7 inch Windows 10 tablet at a thrift store today.
Something called a Pipo X8. Seems like a kiosk tablet type device?
It has 4 full sized usb ports and is powered by 12 volts.
Windows 10 Home OS, 2G ram, 32G storage, HDMI out, speakers, volume control, Wifi, and Bluetooth.
I loaded Java on it and BTConfig runs very well with the touch screen.
It might be hard to find. I do see some have sold on ebay.

pipo_x8.JPG

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
It has 4 full sized usb ports and is powered by 12 volts.
Windows 10 Home OS, 2G ram, 32G storage, HDMI out, speakers, volume control, Wifi, and Bluetooth.
I loaded Java on it and BTConfig runs very well with the touch screen.
It might be hard to find. I do see some have sold on ebay.

View attachment 113170
I have a Panasonic Toughpad that I can do that on and it works great. I was hoping to find something smaller that I could mount to a suction cup mount.

FreqNout

Cool find!
I see some are using that pipo 7 inch tablet for a TV box. Would be very easy to mount in a car.
I was hoping to find something smaller that I could mount to a suction cup mount.

A NuVision TM800w610 Windows tablet might be another 8 inch option. That requires an otg cable.

goldmyne99

I was hoping to find something smaller that I could mount to a suction cup mount.
Great, if you do find a smaller Windows solution that works out for you please do share the info.

Cool find!
I see some are using that pipo 7 inch tablet for a TV box. Would be very easy to mount in a car.
I simply could not pass up a 7 inch Windows OS device for experimenting with the P25RX :)

Status
Not open for further replies.