• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7100ip VHF programming issue

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just acquired a brand new (NOS?) M/A-Com P7100ip VHF scan model. When attempting to read the radio, I get this message:

"Radio code/personality is not compatible with this software, please reprogram".

I tried RPM software R10 B07 and R14 C05, I get the same message on both versions. I put it into program mode by holding down the PTT while turning on the radio, display shows "Program". After the failed attempt, it shows "Program Status".

Ideas?

merlin

To put the P7100 into program mode, you hold all 3 side buttons while powering up.
AKA 3 finger salute. All the display segments should be black.
RPM 14c05 is the latest software that will support the P7100 so it should read any
personality in the radio. (Usually a test personality)
Try that and follow up with results.
Cheers

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Holding all three side buttons while powering up does indeed cause all LCD segments to be blacked out. However, it still won't read the radio; I get the "Radio code/personality is not compatible with this software, please reprogram" message.

Pressing only the PTT button while powering up also puts the radio into programming mode (display reads "Program") . Same error message.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I made a fresh codeplug from scratch, using RPM R14 C05, and then tried to write it to the radio. I now get this message:

"Current radio code is not supported. Must be R12 or greater".

Then it shows a window with:
Current radio code: J2R10B05
DSP Code: F4R06F03

And asks me to select a new file. So, I guess that the radio code or DSP code (or both?) needs to be upgraded? Or, do I need to use Programmer instead of RPM to program?

nucleaireqc

11A & R11B flash code – REQUIRES a minimum revision of Radio ProGrammer programming software R20A10 (or later)

you need PROGRAMMER not Radio Personnality Manager

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
11A & R11B flash code – REQUIRES a minimum revision of Radio ProGrammer programming software R20A10 (or later)

you need PROGRAMMER not Radio Personnality Manager
Where does the 11A and R11B come from? Mine is Flash Code J2R10B05. DSP Code F4R06F03.

nucleaireqc

after R11B you need new software (RPM)

Use Programmer Version or update firmware (FLASH CODE and DSP CODE)

Please saving featuredata or write paper FEA1, FEA2 and FEA3 code

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so from my research, I need to upgrade the Radio Flash and/or DSP code to something that will work with RPM.

How can I get firmware upgrades?

TDR-94

Okay, so from my research, I need to upgrade the Radio Flash and/or DSP code to something that will work with RPM.

How can I get firmware upgrades?
It would just be easier to program it with ProGrammer. RPM doesn't offer any upgrade over ProGrammer with the P7100 series, other than more than 64 TG's per system via trunking operation only.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
When trying to use Radio maintenance to read the P7100 tracking data, I get this message:

1680124884246.png

I successfully read the tracking data from a different P7100, (both VHF Scan models) just not on this particular unit.

I'm guessing I could load the tracking file from another radio, but I'm guessing that would screw the radio up beyond comprehension.

TDR-94

It's possible someone messed with and/or deleted the tracking data previously. Did you try to read the radio more than once? Worst case you load the default tracking data from radio maintenance, but the radio would still require an alignment to get it back to original spec.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have written to and read the radio a few times. I figure a previous owner messed with something.

But how could it work (and it does) if there were no valid Tracking Data?

TDR-94

For transmit or receive? No "valid" tracking data could indicate a few different things.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Never mess with tracking data. That's tuning data. If it's been blanked or corrupted, load default tracking data and then send the radio to a qualified shop for retuning. There's no other reasonable option.

You're dealing with very old firmware and the thing to do is acquire an early version of Programmer or RPM. Something really early, like the factory original authentic TQS3385 Rev C software package I have on the shelf beside me, containing RPM R2A and ProGrammer 20.

It'll take a couple of different RPM versions to do it, but you can incrementally jump the firmware of that radio from its older level to higher levels compatible with later revisions of RPM. You can also use the older versions to downgrade the firmware in radios as well. Within certain limitations.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
What you're suggesting is what I am trying to do. I have two P7100 VHF's. One was programmed with RPM R10B07. I have successfully programmed it, and it seems to work well. The other I cannot program; it was (apparently) last programmed with ProGrammer 20, which I don't have. So I was going to attempt to copy the firmware from the newer one into the older one so that it too can be programmed with RPM. Plus, upgrade from a Scan model to a system model, as I have a spare system case.