Page Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I recently have had issues following the email link to the forums when a thread I am watching has something new.

For example..I get an email telling me a new post was made on a topic I am subscribed to. When I click the link, most of the times it directs me to the page. At other times I get a message that says "Page Not Found." Its not all the time, however, and seems to repeat this behavior time after time for the same thread.

Another issue: At times when it directs me to the new thread, it usually puts me on page 1, not the correct page if I need page 2, 3, etc. Then I have difficulty switching to the correct page..when I click the correct page on the bottom, it just starts me all over on page 1.

I hope this makes sense. It is hard to describe.

I am using Firefox 7.0

Thank you.

QDP2012

It might not be exactly what you are encountering, but I've noticed that after a moderator removes a post, trying to use the direct-link to visit that post will cause the related page to load repeatedly because the system cannot find that specific post. Each time it loads, it goes to the top of the page, since the target-post is missing.

Hope this helps,

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That could be part of it, but often when I click on the link in the email it takes quite some time to load, then all I get is a dark page with the words "page not found" on top.

I can go directly to RR then to that post and it is there. Its just not accessible thru email.

I am also wondering if its my Firefox. I recently downloaded The new 7.0. I looked at my add ons today and some other stuff thrown in there and removed what I did not put there or need. I'll know in a few days if its working.

Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
ADMIN..please read

I am still having issues linking with some of the emails I get, directing me to a post someone made which I am subscribed to.

Another poster made this coment as to why:

The emailed links are bad. This is the problem: "...new-posthtml" should be "...new-post.html"

Report it to An admin.

Thought maybe you could help with this? Thanks.

Greg

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Can you post exactly what you're receiving in the code that isn't working? Like right-click and copy the url. Then paste it here but enclose it with the code bbcode like this: bracket [ then "code", right ], URL then left [ again with a / then code, then ].

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Yes I will. I cannot find any old emails with that problem, but I will post as soon as I get another one. Thank you.

Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
He asked for ther URL, but certainly the above post is very relevant if that is what members are getting. I use Firefox and never recieved a post like that..but still having problems with the Page Not Found Notice.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He asked for ther URL, but certainly the above post is very relevant if that is what members are getting. I use Firefox and never recieved a post like that..but still having problems with the Page Not Found Notice.
If you're still getting it can you figure out how to view the page in plain-text mode so you can see the HTML code then post it here with these tags: [c0de] [/c0de] but substitute the c0de for code.

Blackink

I'm got the same thing on a link in my email for the Thread "Case for the 436"- Page not found.
Heres the URL in the bbcode (I hope).

Code:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283895-case-436-a-new-posthtml

Hope this helps...

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
I'm got the same thing on a link in my email for the Thread "Case for the 436"- Page not found.
Heres the URL in the bbcode (I hope).

Code:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283895-case-436-a-new-posthtml

Hope this helps...

That's an obvious fix right there... missing period.

283895-case-436-a-new-post.html

They'll have to find it in the forum's code.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks much. I believe this is related to a recent backup reversion as I swear we fixed this a long time ago.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks much. I believe this is related to a recent backup reversion as I swear we fixed this a long time ago.

You or someone did fix the missing period thing a long time ago!
I do still see it today but it is pretty darn rare. I think you may be on to something with your comment about it possibly being caused by a backup restore or possibly something pulled from a cache somewhere along the line.

I can't recall seeing it myself for ages now. I think the only time I see it sneak in now is when someone quotes an old post that contains a bad URL with the missing period. A quote from a post that was created before the problem was fixed is what appears to sneak in today.

The other problem mentioned in this thread about page not found or similar error messages still shows up often when clicking a link from the short Active Forum Threads links on the homepage. As pointed out earlier, that is almost always caused by moderator actions where the new post was removed. At 2 AM, those invalid links can hang around for a while in the homepage listings!

I'm not sure if the Active Forum Threads links on the homepage can be fixed when a mod does remove a post unless maybe there is a way to create a "post removed" link using the same URL as the now removed post. If that were possible, users would see the post removed message instead of getting an invalid post or page not found type error. That may be better the user sees that over the error message that is currently displayed when clicking a link into a post that a mod removed.
I still find myself checking the URL for missing periods when I get an error when a mod has removed a post. Purely a force of habit from the old days I'm sure!

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad its not just me losing my mind, but can I throw another kink in here. Often when I follow a link in an email and get thru, it puts me on the wrong page. For example, if I get an email for a new post, the link may take me to page 3, even though the new post is on page 6. Furthermore, it will not allow me to go to page 6 unless I sign in. I don't mind signing in, but even at times when I am already signed in I get a link for a wrong page.

Thanks again.

Greg

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
For example, if I get an email for a new post, the link may take me to page 3, even though the new post is on page 6. Furthermore, it will not allow me to go to page 6 unless I sign in. I don't mind signing in, but even at times when I am already signed in I get a link for a wrong page.
I think this is because what the default number of posts is per page differs from what you've set your own page count settings to. For example, I have mine maxed out at 50 posts per page. Sometimes when I view threads with multiple pages while logged out, then log in, I have issues getting to the last pages because of some weird cache confusion. I know at least part of the issue is related to the reformatting of page URLs (makes them more friendly rather than a number). Not much we can do about these issues since it's just a fact of life with vB.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I never thought of the page count settings; I did change mine a while back. Thanks for making sense of this for me..and many others.

I think I will go back to default, which I believe is 25 per page.

Again..thanks.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.