pager tone codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
154.355 is what they tone on

OK. From the database it looks like that is the main fire dispatch for the whole of Wash Co. (i.e. all departments) so I suspect this is why you are seeing different tones. You would have to watch it closely for when Goshen was paged and see what it said then. Now, if you are meaning that anytime they page Goshen it is showing different tones, do they have different tone out pairs for maybe fire call vs. medical?

javfd

Premium Subscriber
when I catch them and put the codes in it don't work I research find a different set did this multi times same thing

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
There use to be a program on android and iPhone in the play store called radio Id, which would decode mdc, quick call 2, dtmf, ge star and single tone. While it was a few dollars it was worth it.

Just throwing that out there. The creator I believe is a member on radio reference but I forget his name.

You may want to check it out.

It has helped me in some instances including work related in reading mdc ids, or testing a tone out on qc2 over pulling everything out the pelican case.

In any sense with a scanner you can see the mdc ids or ge star if used.

It pulls the audio from air from scanner then decodes.

I should add while it was a few bucks, it beat the free pc decoder types and never was wrong.

The few dollars goes to the creator.

If you are a member of a vfd contact your chief, radio admin, or s.o. and they should be able to give the decode tones.

If they use encode alarm on a tower ie siren then they may be hesitant. But it is moot since Joe public can decode the 2 tones for encode and decode for the tower siren box.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
when I catch them and put the codes in it don't work I research find a different set did this multi times same thing

They may use non standard tones, it should alert if you use the one literally above the tone set as some Motorola pagers are iffy on other non standard tones. It was close enough they'd unmute.

ALSO be sure your pager is set to 12.5 khz step.

Most are narrow band but some believe it or not are still 25khz wide band for numerous reasons even though it is illegal. Seen it million times where pages go out on wideband on say 154.850 (25khz) and the pager is set to narrow 12.5 and the pager sits deaf.

You may play with that. Some are still catching up even though 2012 was tcut off. Spacing cutoff.

N5XPM

It is possible a repeater is setup with multiple active CTCSS (PL) tones, and each department uses a different CTCSS. Not a widespread scenario. Most folks use a 2 tone pair, often with 1 second on the first tone and 3 seconds on the second one.
Some Departments send out test tones (usually a 2 tone pair) every morning (or a set time) and it would be good to record that test if you can, then play it back for Radio ID (on iTunes) to figure out which 2 tone pair apply to your desired dept.
If someone is (still) successfully using a Motorola Minitor II pager, you can carefully remove the case (be careful not to break the battery door) and read the tones off the active filters directly.

RBMTS

JAVFD -
Does Washington County Firecom perform any type of nightly or weekly pager tone tests? If so, can you try to make an audio recording (not video, but audio) of the tones and then post them here? Some of us can put them through a audio program that can help potentially determine the tone frequencies.

jtajk1995

There use to be a program on android and iPhone in the play store called radio Id, which would decode mdc, quick call 2, dtmf, ge star and single tone. While it was a few dollars it was worth it.

Just throwing that out there. The creator I believe is a member on radio reference but I forget his name.

You may want to check it out.

It has helped me in some instances including work related in reading mdc ids, or testing a tone out on qc2 over pulling everything out the pelican case.

In any sense with a scanner you can see the mdc ids or ge star if used.

It pulls the audio from air from scanner then decodes.

I should add while it was a few bucks, it beat the free pc decoder types and never was wrong.

The few dollars goes to the creator.

If you are a member of a vfd contact your chief, radio admin, or s.o. and they should be able to give the decode tones.

If they use encode alarm on a tower ie siren then they may be hesitant. But it is moot since Joe public can decode the 2 tones for encode and decode for the tower siren box.

Should be Matthew Kaufman. Not sure what his RR handle is.

Status
Not open for further replies.