Painting a base station antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Would painting a base station scanner antenna reduce its efficiency? I live in a community with a Home Owners Association that dictates everything but when I can go to the bathroom, but that may follow soon. I have a base station scanner antenna that is quite small, but still would not comply with the rules. I would like to camouflage it by painting it brown or black. Thanking you all in advance.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine it would do anything destructive, unless it was a metallic based paint.

Do you have an attic to conceal the antenna into?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Come to think of it, I would also stay away from self etching paints. If you have a PVC or fiberglass antenna, I am not sure how that style paint would react to those surfaces.

LtDoc

I haven't had an antenna harmed by painting it. It doesn't really matter if the paint has a metal content or not. It's also a very good idea NOT to paint insulators.
- 'Doc

retiredinsemo

I also live in a community with a HOA so we must be creative. I installed this antenna in my attic for use with an Icom R7000 and R75

AOR SA7000 Wideband Antenna

I've also mounted a white Hustler HS-3 vertical repeater antenna on my 3rd level deck using a commercial stand off bracket attached to the 6x6 railing. From ground level it appears to look like a fat 10 foot flag pole. This is on a golf course backed up to hole #8. No questions ever asked.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
At work, we install painted antennas all the time. Certain building owners want the antennas painted to match the colour of their building.

Never had to paint a replacement antenna but I can always check to see what they use.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I wish to thank everyone for helping me out. Attic would not be a good idea because of the present roofing materials. I have a birdcage over my pool and painting the antenna brown will blend in just fine behind a few of my palm trees. Now to don my Cami's when I sneak out at night to mount the antenna. The antenna is only 2' in height.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
No offense to you personally, but anytime you need to be clandestine without actually breaking any local state or federal laws just tells me that is no place I want to live.

Best of success to you though!!

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
You're not offending me one bit. These HOA members make Hitler look good. Being a retired cop from Baltimore City, I'm tired of fighting with people. It is easier to simply do these things without their knowledge. They probably have drones taking aerial photographs looking for illegal items on homes. I have named these people, clipboard carrying old farts that need to go back to work. The price one must pay to live in a Florida gated community!!

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I painted the antenna brown to match the birdcage over the pool. It is hard to detect and works fantastic. I am receiving distant trunked systems.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Final Product

It worked out well, my next door neighbor said it blends in well.

Attachments

• Antenna 5-2014 (1) (640x480).jpg
    Antenna 5-2014 (1) (640x480).jpg
    218 KB · Views: 296
Status
Not open for further replies.