Passed the test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertc1

I took it yesterday. Just waiting for my call sign then register for my DMR id. I have been listening for awhile. I can't wait to get talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drumbum

Congrats I got mine 2 months ago, got a DMR ID the next day,, got a vanity call 2 weeks ago and got my plates yesterday, I have yet to get a DMR radio gonna get a TYT MD-9600 since our DMR towers are pretty far away, my first radio was a Yaesu FT2DR I love it , before I got a radio I talked on Echolink and still do

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Robertc1

Congrats I got mine 2 months ago, got a DMR ID the next day,, got a vanity call 2 weeks ago and got my plates yesterday, I have yet to get a DMR radio gonna get a TYT MD-9600 since our DMR towers are pretty far away, my first radio was a Yaesu FT2DR I love it , before I got a radio I talked on Echolink and still do

Congrats to you also. As soon as my call showed up in the ULS I'm registering for an id. For the DMR radio you might want to try Connect Systems. I was thinking about getting the new Yaesu ht but the one fusion repeater in my area was taken down cause nobody used it.

W2PDX

Congrats! Being on SI opens up a lot of DMR options as you're probably already aware. I'm on local DMR 99.9% of the time now, feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Drumbum

Congrats to you also. As soon as my call showed up in the ULS I'm registering for an id. For the DMR radio you might want to try Connect Systems. I was thinking about getting the new Yaesu ht but the one fusion repeater in my area was taken down cause nobody used it.

I have yet to try it on fusion the nearest tower I can hit analog but not enough strength for digital, too much distance,, I get very good range analog with it, most people I have talked to even on the diamond 77 rubber duck report excellent modulation

Robertc1

Congrats! Being on SI opens up a lot of DMR options as you're probably already aware. I'm on local DMR 99.9% of the time now, feel free to PM me if you need any help.

There are DMR repeaters on SI? I have checked repeater book and DRM MARC and have not seen any. I see some in NJ and BK and a lot in the city. I have the closest ones the me already programmed into my HT, just waiting for my call sign to come up on ULS and then register with DRM MARC.

W2PDX

I see some in NJ and BK and a lot in the city.

That's what I was referring to. With a decent antenna you should be able to hit Brooklyn and possibly Midtown. I know there are some in NJ too that are probably within reach of SI (NJ TRBO) system but I'm not very familiar with those specifics.

Robertc1

That's what I was referring to. With a decent antenna you should be able to hit Brooklyn and possibly Midtown. I know there are some in NJ too that are probably within reach of SI (NJ TRBO) system but I'm not very familiar with those specifics.

I can hear the K2MAK DRM repeater on the island. I don't think the BK one is as active as it used to be. And I heard some activity on the K1DO repeater in NJ last night. Someone was testing a new open spot they just installed.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Congratulations to those who passed their test, and welcome to the big world of amateur radios!
Tell you what though, don't let it be where you just chat on the frequencies. Experiment.
Build and test your antennas; build and test new transmitters and receivers. Go after the QRP side of the waves.
I still remember the smell of soldering joints, the smell of firing up an old radio that hasn't been on in a coon's age. And yeah, still remember that jolt from the plate side of a tube that I didn't dissipate the voltage from!
There's a lot of enjoyment from tinkering with electronics. Learning something new every time you delve into the theory.
Mentioned QRP a few line up. That's making contact with very small amount of transmitter power if you're unsure of what it stands for. For those who may have had a CB before becoming an amateur radio operator; Remember those that ran high power, extra batteries in their vehicle, ran a linear, etc.?
Well golly gee, any one can run that stuff; But to contact the other side of the world with just a watt or two?! Now THAT'S rewarding.
And you don't have to be limited to QRP, there's a plethora of other schemes of the RF world. Just enjoy...

W2PDX

I can hear the K2MAK DRM repeater on the island. I don't think the BK one is as active as it used to be. And I heard some activity on the K1DO repeater in NJ last night. Someone was testing a new open spot they just installed.

K2MAK and the K2HR Brooklyn repeaters all carry TG 444 which is very active and carried full time on multiple tri-state area repeaters and as a PTT in Texas and southeast FL.

Drumbum

That was quick, mine was like yours difficult to say so I applied for a vanity before too many people got used to KN4ECZ

W2PDX

:UPDATE: Got my call sign and DMR ID. KD2NZJ and 1136641. Were we go.

Wow, gone are the days of anxiously checking the mail box for several weeks until your license arrives! :-D Looking forward to hearing you on the air. Feel free to send me a PM if you want any specific info.

Status
Not open for further replies.