PG&E NXDN System

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Looks like PG&E has several applications pending for NXDN trunked systems.

0005178336 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - SAN BRUNO MOUNTAIN
0005178337 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - SUNOL
0005178338 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - MONUMENT PEAK
0005178339 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - MT TAMALPAIS
0005178341 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - CUMMINGS PEAK
0005178344 - PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY - CLAYTON HILL

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Amendment to their existing license. So, looks like they are finally ditching MPT and going to NXDN.
I haven’t seen a thing about this up north. I know they’re resurrecting their VHF licensing to provide “tactical” comms in the field, on job sites, PSPS, helicopter ops and sub contractors. Basically simplex, maybe a few repeaters, but I don’t think anything like the old days of linked remote bases back to their control centers etc.
Replacing the MPT system would be a massive financial and logistical undertaking, at a time where funds are “tight” and they can’t afford many more missteps, or a minute of delay getting PSPS reenergized. They’re already reoutfitting trucks and crews with VHF Kenwoods for the field worK, most of their Tait fleet is analog only, with latest purchases I think digital capable but not sure which mode they standardized on. This could be that answer. I guess if they already have the mountain-top links in place for the MPT, it’s just a logistical problem at that point of gear swaps and cutovers, let alone operational changes from limitations NXDN trunked has vs MPT. Their system has 5-600 talkgroups and direct dial. I’ll poke around too with some of their IT/telecom guys, but usually they aren’t privy to big picture stuff, just what their next work order says.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, Kenwood Rep confirmed. Better coverage from 6.25KHz was one of the reasons he gave (remember, he's a Kenwood rep). Considering some of the existing Kenwood NXDN radios will support MPT, makes me wonder if they are migrating mobiles/portables to Kenwood and keeping MPT and doing a slow transition to NXDN.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.